Freedom of Information
Freedom of Information Office
Letterkenny Institute of Technology
(t) +35374 9186044
***Please note these FOI web pages are currently under review in line with requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2014***
The official FOI Central Policy Unit Website in the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform.
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 (the “2014 Act”) as passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas was signed into law on Tuesday 14th October, 2014. The Act has effect on and from this date.
What is Freedom of Information?
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 gives you the right to access records held by this Institute and all FOI bodies. The Institute must give you an explanation if you are not given what you asked for and the decision must normally be made within 4 weeks.
The main objectives of the Act are to foster and develop a culture of openness, transparency and accountability in public bodies. The Act is designed to allow public access to information held by public bodies which is NOT normally available through other sources. Access to information under the Act is subject to certain exemptions and involves specific procedures and time limits.
The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2014
Under Freedom of Information Legislation every person has the following legal rights:
- the right to access official records held by public bodies prescribed under the Act;
- the right to have personal information held on them corrected or updated where such information is incomplete, incorrect or misleading; and
- the right to be given reasons for decisions taken by public bodies that affect them.
In general, members of the public are entitled to obtain official information from the Institute provided it does not conflict with the public interest and the right of privacy of individuals.
Requests for information must be submitted in writing to the Freedom of Information Office.
What can I ask for?
You can ask for any of the following.
- Any records relating to you personally, whenever created
- All other records created after the effective date