- Parking for LYIT staff, students and visitors is available on campus at Port Road Letterkenny on both the campus side and across the Port Road.
Pedestrians should exercise caution when crossing public roadways to enter/leave campus and should always use the pedestrian crossings provided. To use the pedestrian crossings, users must press the call button and await a green light before crossing the road.
- The pedestrian crossing points at the Letterkenny Port Rd are located within a very busy signalised junction designed to provide safe crossing points for pedestrians, control traffic travelling along the Port Rd., and traffic entering and leaving the LYIT campus and Car Park 1. There are times when the traffic travelling along the Port Rd. is stopped, yet the pedestrian crossing light remains red. This red light for pedestrians allows traffic emerging from the campus and Car Park 1 to safely enter the traffic flow along the Port Rd. Pedestrians may not always see the vehicles which are about to make these turning manoeuvres so should never assume that it is safe to cross the road because the traffic to the left and right is stopped.
- For their own safety, pedestrians are requested to be patient when waiting for the green light and not take chances on crossing at any other time.
- In the interests of sustainability, commuters to LYIT are encouraged where possible to car share, use public transport and to walk/cycle to LYIT. The development of a network of road and cycle lanes throughout the town is welcomed by LYIT. Bus set down areas are available on both sides of the Port Road to facilitate use of public transport.
- New Internal Roadway Layout
- A new visitors car park has been provided in the area between the main building and CoLab and the internal roadway layout has been revised in accordance with the layout below.
Access to the visitors car park is available to visitors on legitimate LYIT business and by arrangement only.
- On Campus car parking
- 540 spaces at Main Campus to North of Port Rd.
224 spacesat Car Park opposite Campus to South of Port.
- The car park opposite the campus opens Monday to Friday from 8am to 10pm during term time. It is locked overnight, at weekends and at all times outside term time. There is a weight restriction of 2.5 tonnes and a height restriction of 2.05m applicable to all vehicles entering this car park. Signalised pedestrians crossing facilities are provided at two separate locations to facilitate pedestrians crossing the Port Rd. from the car park and elsewhere. Crossing at any other point, including the island in the centre of the road, is not permitted as it could lead to a serious accident.
- There is a traffic flow restriction barrier on the main campus located between the main building and CoLab. This barrier restricts traffic to flow from North to South side of the campus only. It prevents traffic flow in the opposite direction from South to North side of campus.
- Off Campus car parking
- Mount Errigal Hotel: located on the Ramelton Road opposite the hotel between Bassetts and Floor World. The spaces are unmarked but the area should accommodate a minimum of fifty cars.
- Church of the Irish Martyrs: located on the Gortlee Road, there are 63 designated spaces for LYIT’s use. Please see the diagram below for details.
- McGinley Motors: a multi-storey car park accessible from close to the courthouse on Justice Walsh Road or opposite the entrance to Letterkenny Community Centre on Pearse Road. It has 600 spaces for LYIT's use and opens from 6.45 am to 7 pm. Please note that car park charges apply.