» Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) in Engineering In Embedded Systems Design
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) in Engineering In Embedded Systems Design CAO Code Add-on Programme. Not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_EEMSD_B Duration 1 Year post Ordinary Degree Standard Code Places: 15 - 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- In all aspects of our lives, in our homes, our work place, our car, even our bodies, we are increasingly interacting with embedded sensing, computing and communicating devices, which are monitoring and controlling our environment. The applications for embedded systems increase daily: medical, car industry, navigation, telecommunications, financial services, the Internet, automation, avionics, etc. Embedded systems designers are involved in all aspects of developing such systems (both software and hardware): design and prototyping, manufacture, commissioning and maintenance.
- The programme covers the broad spectrum of topics relating to Embedded System Design: VHDL and digital design principles, wireless communications, embedded operating systems, embedded C programming, internet communications and applications using wireless devices. Practical work includes the design and implementation of hardware, software and integrated systems, and the use of software packages for design and analysis. The laboratories are well equipped with modern computer and wireless communications equipment, microcontroller development systems and appropriate digital design packages.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants must have an Ordinary Degree in Electronics or Computer Engineering or an equivalent (level 7) qualification with 180 ECTS credits and appropriate learning outcomes
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 4/7 Discrete Mathematics Mandatory 5 4 VHDL & Programming Mandatory 5 4 Embedded Systems I Mandatory 5 6 Communications Technologies for Embedded Systems Mandatory 5 4 Project I Mandatory 5 4 4/8 Mathematics Mandatory 5 4 Embedded Systems Mandatory 5 4 Embedded Operating Systems II Mandatory 5 4 Networking of Embedded Systems Mandatory 5 4 Project II Mandatory 5 4
- Learning Outcomes
- The graduate will be able to:
- Analyse problems, develop solutions and implement solutions on several embedded systems platforms
- Develop and build an embedded operating systems on a variety of platforms
- Design and implement digital systems solutions in CPLDs and FPGAs.
- Analyse performance of wireless communications systems
- Develop and implement solutions in wireless communications environment
- Incorporate wireless sensors into solutions
- Work within a design team in the development of digital solutions
- Independently undertake the design and implementation of sub-sections of a development project
- Design and implement software solutions to a high standard
- Document and present design solutions in a team environment
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Graduates from this programme may pursue further studies to Masters Degree level at LYIT.
- Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Masters Degree level at other Universities in Ireland or abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- With the continued growth of embedded systems in all aspects of our environment, at work, at home and at play, the need for embedded systems designers and developers technicians has dramatically increased. Graduates can expect to work at all levels of development within industry. This may be at the initial stages of identifying and developing solutions or may be at the level of implementation and delivery of solutions.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Dr Jim Morrison, Head of Department of Electronics & Mechanical Engineering, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 9186401