» Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering CAO Code Add-on Programme. Not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_MMECH_B Duration 1 Year post Ordinary Degree Standard Code Places: 15 - 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Mechanical engineers design, manufacture and maintain products systems and services we use everyday; from phones to refrigerators and from planes to power generation. The programme will deepen your knowledge, skills and competence in core areas such as mechanical systems and design & analysis. Cutting edge engineering technologies such as virtual prototyping, reverse engineering, finite element analysis and sustainable energy systems & thermodynamics are also covered. There are also modules on professional development, innovation & business planning. If you are looking to enhance your knowledge and skills in this area, this new add-on course is for you.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants must have an Ordinary Degree in Electronics or Computer Engineering or an equivalent (level 7) qualification with 180 ECTS credits and appropriate learning outcomes
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 4/7 Mechanics Mandatory 5 4 Thermodynamic Systems & Renewable Energy 1 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Design & Analysis Mandatory 5 4 Numerical Methods for Engineers Mandatory 5 4 Innovation, Technology & Business Mandatory 5 4 Research Report Mandatory 5 3 4/8 Control, Instrumentation and Electrical Power Management Mandatory 5 4 Thermodynamic Systems & Renewable Energy Mandatory 5 4 Computer Aided Engineering Mandatory 5 4 Quality & Reliability Mandatory 5 4 Professional Development Mandatory 5 4 Project Mandatory 5 3
- Learning Outcomes
- The graduate will be able to:
- Apply engineering analysis, synthesis and evaluation to engineering problems.
- Demonstrate and articulate a practical and theoretical knowledge of Mechanical Engineering through theory, practice, experimental, project and design work.
- Demonstrate a high level of competence and ability in problem solving, analysis and decision making.
- Demonstrate a high level of competence and ability in technical report writing, record keeping, communication and managerial functions.
- Identify and distinguish design team responsibilities in relevant design and engineering projects.
- Produce complete 3d and 2d models and drawings.
- Demonstrate time management skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to use communication & IT skills to communicate engineering concepts, orally and by written and graphical means.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Adopt a professional approach to work related activities.
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Graduates from this programme may pursue further studies to Masters Degree level at LYIT.
- Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Masters Degree level at other Universities in Ireland or abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- There is always strong demand for Mechanical Engineering graduates at home and abroad. Graduates can expect to work at all levels of development. This may be at the initial stages of identifying and developing solutions or may be at the level of implementation and delivery of solutions. Graduate may be involved in product and system design and development in a number of different areas, for example, thermodynamic systems, biomedical component design, electromechanical systems integration & sustainable energy systems.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Dr Jim Morrison, Head of Department of Electronics & Mechanical Engineering, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186401