» Higher Certificate in Business (Accounting & Administration)
Programme Title Higher Certificate in Business (Accounting & Administration) CAO Code LY106 LYIT internal code Duration 2 Years Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC CAO Points Click here for CAO Points
- Is this Course for You?
- The Higher Certificate in Business (Accounting and Administration) is a Level 6, 2 year higher certificate programme offering students the opportunity to develop a diverse and invaluable range of skills that can be applied in the professional accounting and administration environment. The necessity for accountancy and administration skills permeates all organisations.
- The focus of the programme is on developing core accounting skills with a complementary range of both back-office and front-office skills in administration and information technology. The first year of the programme focuses on developing student’s foundational accounting, tax and business skills and knowledge while the second year of the programme is dedicated to developing advanced skills and knowledge associated with accounting and administrative related roles. An emphasis on information technology for general business, accounting and payroll infiltrates both years of the programme.
- In addition, the second year of the programme allows you to select various electives, which can allow you to progress onto the Bachelor of Business (Hons) in Accounting, BA in Administration and IT, Bachelor of Business in Management and Bachelor of Business in Marketing.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- Min. Five O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Maths F2/O6/H7
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Learning & Communication Skills Mandatory 10 5 Business Organisation & Management Mandatory 10 6 Income Tax & VAT Mandatory 5 3 Information Technology Mandatory 5 3 1/2 Record Keeping (Accounts & Payroll) Mandatory 10 6 Marketing & Customer Relationship Management Mandatory 10 5 Mathematics Mandatory 5 3 Business Law Mandatory 5 3 2/3 Business Information Systems Mandatory 10 5 Office Organisation & Management Mandatory 10 6 Financial Accounts Mandatory 10 5 2/4 Economics Mandatory 10 6 Computerised Accounts & Payroll Systems Mandatory 10 5 Text Processing Elective 1 10 6 Management Accounting & Finance Elective 2 10 5 Entrepreneurship & Innovation Elective 3 5 3 Advanced IT Applications Elective 4 5 3
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of the Higher Certificate in Business (Accounting and Administration) the learner will be able to:
- Prepare financial statements for sole traders and companies (including statements of cash flow) even where records are incomplete and reconciliations between internal books and records and external sources, e.g. bank statements.
- Compute tax liabilities such as VAT and PAYE/PRSI/USC for a business and advise on their obligations in this regard including the procedures to be followed when dealing with the Revenue Commissioners.
- Prepare financial reports and other management information.
- Evaluate the financial position of an organisation through the examination of financial statements and non-financial data.
- Manage and use cost accounting systems for budgetary, inventory control and costing purposes.
- Use computers effectively in an accounts related environment.
- Recognise and evaluate areas of potential legal concern in the business environment and comprehend the relevance of Marketing and IT to businesses in general and also with specific reference to the accounting and finance function.
- Set up and manage a computer based payroll and accounting package.
- Communicate using appropriate transferable/professional skills with colleagues and customer using appropriate communication techniques.
- Apply problem solving and analytical skills consistently in a business context.
- Evaluate effective customer care strategies and manage customer service effectively within organisations.
- Recognise and evaluate the key management skills and professional/transferable competencies that are essential and relevant to supervisors and good office support staff.
- Follow-on Courses
- Year 3 of the BA in Administration & IT
- Year 3 of the BBus in Management
- Year 3 of the BBus in Marketing
- Year 2 of the 3year BBus (Hons) Accounting
- Career Opportunities
- This programme provides a comprehensive set of skills and competencies appropriate to entry level positions in professional accounting practices and administration functions in the private and public sectors. It is also particularly suited to the administration/book keeper role in small –medium sized enterprises.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: