» Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting
Programme Title Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting CAO Code LY108 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years Standard Code Places: 50 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC CAO Points Click here for CAO Points
- Is this course for you?
- If you want to build a career in the accounting profession, this course could be for you. Over three years, you will learn the core accounting and finance skills needed to perform at a highly competent level in the accountancy profession. You will also develop a complementary range of business skills that will equip you to work in a variety of related positions, including business management and teaching.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Min. Six O6/H7
- Maths O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- At Least Two H5
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Learning & Communication Skills Mandatory 10 5 Book-keeping Mandatory 5 3 Information Technology Mandatory 5 3 Business Organisation and Management Mandatory 10 6 1/2 Management Accounting & Finance Mandatory 10 6 Economics Mandatory 10 5 Quantitative Methods Mandatory 5 3 Financial Accounting Mandatory 5 3 2/3 Financial Reporting 1 Mandatory 10 5 Business Information Systems Mandatory 10 5 Computerised Accounts Mandatory 5 3 Law for the Business Environment Mandatory 5 3 2/4 Management Accounting 2 Mandatory 10 5 Company Law & Governance Mandatory 10 5 Business Tax Mandatory 10 5 3/5 Digital Business Mandatory 10 5 Financial Reporting 2 Mandatory 10 5 Business Finance Mandatory 5 3 Capital Gains Tax & VAT Mandatory 5 3 3/6 Strategic Management Mandatory 10 5 Advanced Management Accounting & Finance Mandatory 10 5 Auditing Mandatory 10 5
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of the Bachelor of Business (Hons) in Accounting the learner will have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding about accounting and business appropriate for entry-level positions in accounting and business fields.
- Ability to evaluate the financial position of an organisation through the examination of financial statements and non-financial data.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the regulations and principles of accounting, and apply these accurately and correctly to accounting and business issues.
- Understanding of ethical dilemmas and legal issues, and ability to respond appropriately by applying relevant ethical and legal concepts and codes of ethics issued by relevant authorities.
- Ability to demonstrate IT skills and show knowledge of e-business issues and their application in a modern business environment.
- Ability to display learning, intellectual and professional skills which will be appropriate for a graduate moving into a business workplace.
- Evaluate the role of other business functions necessary for the effective participation in business organisations.
- Professional Body Exemptions
- Accounting graduates of our Business programmes are entitled to the following exemptions from the Professional Accounting Bodies (these exemptions are subject to periodic review):
ACCA CAI CPA F1 – Accountant in Business CAP1 – Finance F1 - Business Maths & Quantitative Methods F2 – Management Accounting CAP1 – Management Accounting F1 – Economics & The Business Environment F3 – Financial Accounting CAP1 – Financial Accounting F1 – Business Law F4 – Corporate & Business Law CAP1 – Taxation 1 F2 – Financial Accounting F5 – Performance Management CAP 1 – Law for Accountants F2 – Taxation F6 - Taxation Next Steps F2 – Information Systems F7 – Financial Reporting Graduates must sit CAP2 plus the FAE’s (final exams), however Students who complete the Masters in Accounting at LYIT will also receive all CAP2 exemptions. F2 – Management Accounting F8 – Audit & Assurance P1 – Corporate Reporting F9 – Financial Management P1 – Auditing Next Step P1 – Managerial Finance Graduates need only sit the final exams P1 – Corporate Law and Governance Next Steps Graduates need only sit Professional 2 (final exams)
- Follow-on courses
- Master of Arts in Accounting at LYIT.
- Higher Diploma in Financial Services Technologies at LYIT.
- Masters degrees in institutes and universities at home and abroad
- Higher Diploma in Education for qualification as a teacher.
- Career Opportunities
- Graduates of this course find positions in professional accountancy practices, industry, commerce, financial services and the public service, nationally and internationally. Accounting courses at LYIT attract generous exemptions from the examinations of professional accountancy bodies including ICA, ACCA, CPA and CIMA. All exemptions awarded are subject to annual review and revision by the various professional bodies and are based on students achieving clear passes in completion of specific modules.
- This course is suitable for those who ultimately wish to pursue a career in teaching as it will be recognised by the Teachers Council for the purposes of teaching Accounting, Business and Economics. Graduates have the opportunity to progress to LYIT’s MA in Accounting, which offers further generous exemptions from professional examinations.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: