» Bachelor of Business (Hons) – Lifelong Learning
Programme Title Bachelor of Business (Hons) – Lifelong Learning CAO Code LYIT internal code LY_BBSLL_B Duration 3 Years* Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
For learners entering at Stage 1 depending on your pace of study the programme can be completed in 3 – 3 and a half years.
Learners who qualify for advanced entry to Stage 3 can complete the degree in 15-20 months depending on their pace of study.
- Is this Course for Me?
- This degree programme has been specifically designed to suit mature learners. This programme gives access to lifelong learning for those who may wish to return to study but can't attend traditional full time courses.
- The part-time business degree programme will be delivered 2 evenings per week, using a number of innovative teaching methods including significant off-campus study via online and work-based learning.
- This programme is based around work and will deliver excellent qualification in Business but also a very positive and stimulating learning experience.
- This programme will equip participants with a diverse and flexible range of skills and professional competencies suited to the modern world of business and enterprise. An integral part of the programme is the focus towards applied and work based learning. This approach recognises the relationship between business theory and business practice, and enhances the use of business knowledge in practice. The programme creates an environment in which participants can engage in knowledge development based on the ‘work’ context.
- The course has two pathways to study. The first pathway starts at stage 1 in September and depending on the student’s pace of study, completing an honours degree in three – three and a half years. The second option begins at stage 3 in May and is suited to current holders of Higher Certificates in Business or Higher National Diplomas from Northern Ireland. Students who start at stage 3 can undertake their studies using work-placement and project work, and complete their degree in 15 – 20 months.
**** Classes start for Stage 3 entrants on Wednesday May 18th 2016 at 6pm ****
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Over 21 years by 1st of January in the proposed year of entry and the successful completion of at least 5 subjects in the Irish Leaving Certificate (or an equivalent international exam). Maths and either English or Irish are required.
- Candidates who do not meet the above entry requirement may be admitted to the programme on the grounds of mature years (0ver 23 by 1st January in the proposed year of entry), if they have attained appropriate experience and attainment thresholds deemed equivalent. Such applicants will be subject to an interview process to ascertain the extent and appropriateness of prior non-accredited/accredited learning and associated communication/learning competencies. Where necessary further assessment with regard to learning and communication competencies may be required by the Learning Support Unit.
- Experience of working within the private, public, community or voluntary sector whilst desirable is not essential.
- Experience Counts
We recognise that life and work experience counts. LYIT operates a Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPL) scheme where applicants who do not meet the normal academic requirements may be considered based on relevant work and other experience, additionally applicants may also achieve further exemptions from programme modules and advanced entry.
- What will I study?
Stage/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 1/1 Learner Development & Study Skills Mandatory 10 Management Principles Mandatory 10 Introduction to Personal Finance Mandatory 5 IT Skills Mandatory 5 1/2 Business Accounting Mandatory 10 Managerial Behaviour & Effectiveness Mandatory 10 Economics Mandatory 10 2/3 Marketing: Theory & Practice Mandatory 10 Information Systems for Business Mandatory 10 Operations & Supply Chain Management Mandatory 10 2/4 Business Law & Regulatory Environment Mandatory 10 Financial Decision Making Mandatory 10 Ethics, Social Responsibility & Sustainable Development Mandatory 10 3/5 Professional Development Mandatory 5 Work Based Learning Placement Mandatory 25 3/6 Digital Enterprise for Management Mandatory 10 Human Resource Management Mandatory 10 Entrepreneurship & Innovation Management Mandatory 10 4/7 Business Strategy Mandatory 10 Going Global Mandatory 10 Leadership and Change Mandatory 10 4/8 Research Methods Mandatory 5 Applied Research Project Mandatory 25
- Follow-on courses
- MSc in Marketing Practice at LYIT
- Higher Diploma in Financial Services Technologies
- Further study at other institutes or universities
- Career Opportunities
- Due to the broad range of subjects studied throughout the programme, graduates are prepared for employment in a variety of business-related fields.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: