» Master of Business (Executive) in Innovation & Leadership
Programme Title Master of Business (Executive) in Innovation & Leadership CAO Code Add-on programme. Not available via CAO LYIT internal code Duration 2 Years Part-time Standard Code Places 15 National Framework Level 9 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this the course for you?
- A key strategic justification is that the programme will substantially develop the potential of managers in regionally based industry and to develop significant business improvement in participating firms. The MBS (Innovation and Leadership) has a number of important factors which distinguish it from other level 9 offerings in the field:
- It is focused on the private sector; this is particularly important in the context of the unique industrial and employment environment pertaining to the North-West region.
- It combines a strong academic underpinning with the practical management skills required by employers.
- The course philosophy, design and content are strongly linked to industry needs and this is evidenced in the continuing partnership approach with industry adopted in the design and running of this course. External guest presenters of national and International standing are a fundamental part of the programme
- Action learning within the learner’s workplace will form an integral part of the programme, enhancing the use of specialist knowledge in practice, recognising the reciprocal relationship between management theory, professional practice and research.
- It meets the demand for Masters level qualifications among industry and serves to embed leadership and innovation capacity and skills in the regional economy.
- By opting for an action learning approach, the programme creates an environment in which participants can engage in applied knowledge acquisition. Relevant project work in sponsoring organisations and sharing of real life experiences will form a richness of case studies where potent lessons can be learned through the process of application, assessment and reflection, referred to as ‘Build and Learn’.
- It is essentially a practical programme with rigorous theoretical underpinnings. It contains in-depth critical analysis while promoting a concentration on implementation issues at the core. A firm intention of the programme is that it will help lead and embed the necessary skills for successful innovation and business improvement. It will provide the ‘reflective gap’ for participants to focus on key strategic management and leadership issues that may not otherwise be addressed on a day-to-day basis.
- Executive Masters in Innovation & Leadership Course Brochure
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- The entry requirement is an Honours Degree, minimum of Second Class Honours, Grade 2 or equivalent and at least three years relevant experience. In exceptional circumstances, applicants not holding a degree but having significant experience as a Senior Manager will be eligible for admission to the programme.
- What will I study?
- This programme is delivered using block delivery of modules over 2 and 3 day residential sessions. Some modules are delivered on campus in LYIT and others are delivered off-site (the location of off-site delivery will depend on where the majority of participants are from).
Year Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 5/1 Managing People & Organisations Mandatory 5 Innovation and New Product Development Mandatory 5 Leadership Mandatory 10 Managing Change Mandatory 5 Driving Innovation Mandatory 10 5/2 Action Learning Research Mandatory 5 Corporate Governance Mandatory 5 Knowledge Management & Learning Mandatory 5 Professional Development Mandatory 5 Dissertation Mandatory 20
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of MBS (Innovation and Leadership) programme, the learner will be able to:
- To promote a critical awareness of the current trends in developing innovative organisations and to enable the participant to be capable of evaluating the likely impact of these on the current and emerging business environment.
- To develop a participant’s leadership and knowledge skills such that they can lead and renew their organisation in the rapidly changing business environment
- To engender people and organisational management skills for sustained innovation change in their organisations
- To develop analytical and ethical attitudinal approaches to organisational innovation, knowledge and learning.
- To engender a strategic orientation, appropriate to senior organisational leadership positions, of current and emerging corporate governance regulation and to develop an attitudinal perspective on business ethics and ethical decision making
- To expose participants to a range of international best practice implementation techniques so as to act in a wide and often unpredictable variety of ill-defined contexts.
- To use advanced investigative skills to conduct research and to transfer and apply diagnostic skills to improve innovation delivery practices in a complex and increasingly openly networked business environment.
- To enhance transferable and behavioural skills such as reasoning, reflection, critical thinking, communication, self-management and independent learning.
- Student Testimonials
- Caroline Faulkner, Senior Managing Director & Chief Information Officer, Pramerica “The most valuable aspect of how this programme is constructed, is that it remains relevant to your work environment. In that way, everything you learn and develop is towards capitalising on your own organisational opportunities. The materials have been excellent at providing practical examples of how other leading companies manage their innovation processes. There’s been a great 'sharing of ideas' amongst the participants which has created a lot of positive energy throughout the course.”
- Seamus Hannon, Sales Manager for Connacht Gold“I wanted to do a course which would help me professionally but also contribute to my personal development. I can honestly say that 2 years on, my requirements are being met by the LYIT Masters in Innovation and Leadership, and I can translate what I am learning to my every day role with Connacht Gold. This course is tailored for people in business like me, and would be particularly of interest to people who are heading into leadership roles or managing teams.”
- Padraig O’Grady, Regional Director, IBEC “This unique programme has made a very significant contribution to the capacity of organisational leadership talent available in the region whose effects will be benefited from for many years to come. I have been particularly impressed with the range of external speakers engaged by LYIT in this programme, which indicates the strategic level at which this course is aimed at in industry. IBEC fully endorse this hugely positive step for leadership and innovation development in the region.”
- Follow-on courses
- Progression is possible to Research Masters and Doctoral Programmes in Institutes and Universities within Ireland and abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Your in-depth knowledge and practical experience gained in this programme will leave you well placed in your organisation to take up positions with increased responsibility
- Fees for this programme are €11,000 payable in 3 instalments over three calendar years.
This course will start in January each year.
- Apply: Postgraduate Programmes Application Form
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: