» Master of Science in Marketing Practice
Programme Title Master of Science in Marketing Practice CAO Code Add-on programme. Not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_BMARK_M Duration 1 Year Standard Code Places: 15 National Framework Level 9 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The MSc in Marketing Practice is a focused twelve-month full time programme that develops graduates into professional marketing practitioners. The aim of this programme is to significantly contribute to the marketing expertise and professional development of graduates, and ultimately make ‘best practice’ contributions to business development in the field of marketing.
- Industry placement forms an integral part of the programme, enhancing the use of specialist knowledge in practice and recognising the reciprocal relationship between marketing theory, professional practice and research.
- A new feature to this year’s programme is thea fresh focus on ‘Digital Marketing’ and ‘Business Analytics’ modules to reflect current trends in the business environment. These modules complement the industry placements and other marketing modules.
- “Marketing is one of the most important activities a business engages in as it directly impacts profitability. This programme seeks to develop marketing and entrepreneurial talent; it’s about real business on the inside and out. In today’s tough environment, the work placement is not only a key selling point for the graduates but also for local businesses. It’s a win-win situation, students face real business challenges to test themselves and business get some additional marketing expertise to help them”, James Kearns, Programme Lecturer.
Photo: Students from the MSc Class of 2015.
- MSc Marketing Practice Course Brochure 2016_17
- Key Features
- New focus on Digital Marketing and Analytics
- Industry Placement
- Excellent track record of graduate employment in marketing positions
- Small class sizes, facilitating a learner centered approach
- Exposure to Leading National & International practitioners
- Excellent academic delivery & tailored support
- Hands on projects
- Focus on reflective learning
- Access to an extensive range of marketing and marketing related materials
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Level 8 Degree in Business Studies, minimum of Second Class Honours, Grade 2 or equivalent (with a minimum of 30 credits in marketing/ marketing related modules).
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Semester 1 Driving Marketing in SME's Mandatory 10 Managing the Innovation Process Mandatory 5 Digital Marketing**NEW** Mandatory 10 Research Methods Mandatory 5 Academic Writing Elective 5 Semester 2 Applied Strategic Business Planning Mandatory 10 Managing Sales Mandatory 10 Business Analytics **NEW** Mandatory 5 Work Placement Mandatory 5 Dissertation Mandatory 15
- Learning Outcomes
- Holders of this award will be able to integrate knowledge, handle complexity and formulate judgements at the forefront of the field of Marketing.
- Graduates will be able to:
- Apply their problem solving and analytical skills consistently in a business context
- Formulate product/market strategies and frame organisational growth opportunities
- Demonstrate strategic marketing thinking and creative ability along with originality in complex problem situations
- Make sound judgements based on market information and communicate these effectively to a range of stakeholders
- Operate effectively in a variety of team roles and demonstrate self direction when completing and implementing projects
- Take responsibility for career and professional development
- Plan and conduct a piece of primary research and write a Dissertation.
- Industry Placement
- The MSc in Marketing Practice provides a real opportunity for graduates to grow their employment and career prospects. The Work Placement not only exposes the graduate to real-life marketing challenges but also provides an opportunity to embed best practice marketing techniques in local organisations.
Previous placement companies include; Arena 7, Donegal Creameries, Earagail Arts Festival, Errigal Fish, Fáilte Ireland, Irish Pressings, Letterkenny Hospital, Letterkenny Institute of Technology, McElhinney’s of Ballybofey, Safetech, Solis Lough Eske Castle, Storm PM among many others.
- “In the past we never considered a marketing person within the company until the chance arose with LYIT. The MSc course allowed us the opportunity by employing a marketing executive and to assess the contribution marketing and a marketing professional could bring to the organisation. The success of this opportunity can be judged on the fact that five years later we still have the LYIT graduate employed on a full time basis! The professionalism and foresight a marketer can bring to a company should not be underestimated and we at Arena7 are glad we chose an LYIT graduate.”
Enda Nicholls, Owner Arena 7 Entertainment Complex
- “Taking part in the MSc in Marketing Practice gave me the opportunity to implement the entrepreneurial skills that I had built on throughout the year in the form of a 12 week placement in the award winning software start-up company Farmflo. The company were impressed with the skill set and knowledge that I had acquired through the program and offered me the opportunity to become a permanent member of the team in the role of marketing executive. I initially anticipated that I may have had to seek work further afield but the networks between LYIT and industry, nationally and globally, meant that I could continue to build around my marketing experience in an innovative environment.”
Lisha O’Kane, 2015 Graduate
- “The combination of workshops/lectures, group assignments and local work placement made the delivery of this programme varied and interesting. This, along with the small class size, and close relationships with the lecturers made an ideal learning environment. Apart from the recognised qualification awarded at the end of the course, the MSc in Marketing Practice helps to develop an individual’s overall personality and confidence”.
Leanne Fullerton, Marketing Manager, The Red Door Country House
- “Having attained my marketing credentials in LYIT in 2006 I continue to enjoy the high esteem in which they are held. The close-knit class structure, lecturer accessibility and case studies I encountered provided both a fantastic theoretical and practical platform to build upon. For the past 5 years I have worked in the GAA organisation. I sit on the association's Commercial & Marketing Management team and work across a wide spectrum of marketing disciplines including branding, licensing and marketing communications. More specifically, I have managed numerous national & local TV, radio, online and print marketing campaigns. Every day brings a new but exciting challenge that leaves me to appreciate the engaging work I am doing in a sector that I love. Moreover, I appreciate the grounding I received in LYIT to prepare me for such a position.”
Noel Quinn, GAA
Photo: Vicky O’Rourke, Marketing Lecturer, pictured alongside Richard O'Connor, Cruickshanks and MSc in Marketing Practice students
- The Programme commences in September each year and the fee for the Masters of Science in Marketing Practice is currently €5,000. The fee for Non-Eu students is €9,000.
- Tax relief is available on fees paid – up to €5,000 at the standard rate
You may be eligible for a grant, subject to means test – please contact your local grant awarding authority. If you qualified for a grant as an undergraduate then you may qualify again – this is subject to the grant regulations which are not administered by LYIT. You can find relevant information at http://www.studentfinance.ie/
- Mature students (over 23 years) who are long term unemployed may also receive subvention – at the time of writing there were some schemes in place, you would need to contact your local welfare officer.
- Postgraduate Scholarship
- Pushing Boundaries is LYIT’s Full-time Postgraduate Taught Masters Programme Scholarship. This year LYIT is offering up to 30 MSc or MA Scholarships to the value of €2,000. You can apply for the Scholarship using the Postgraduate Programmes Application Form.
- Note: This scholarship has been designed for those students who are in receipt of no other form of financial assistance to study from a grant awarding body. It is also only available to EU Students.
- Application Procedure
- The closing date for applications is 7th September 2016.
Some applicants may be called to interview.
- Download the application form here: Postgraduate Programmes Application Form
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: