» Higher Certificate in science in Construction Technology with BIM
Programme Title Higher Certificate in science in Construction Technology with BIM CAO Code LY506 LYIT internal code LY_CTECH_C Duration 2 Years Standard Code Places: 30 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Are you interested in how buildings come to life? More than just bricks and mortar, buildings have a pulse made up of all kinds of services, equipment and technology. This 2-year course covers the fundamentals of construction technology and the latest advances in 3D modelling of buildings.
- As building information modelling (BIM) becomes established in the architectural, engineering and construction (AEC) industry, learners need to understand and apply BIM concepts and skills. One of the objectives of this programme is to provide the opportunity for learners to acquire BIM skills and competences in a number of modules throughout the four semesters.
- The general aims of the Higher Certificate in Construction Technology with BIM course are to:
- Produce graduates with the relevant knowledge and competence to be able to undertake duties at technician level.
- Provide the students with a thorough knowledge of the engineering and construction process including BIM, surveying, materials, specification, contracts, quality and H&S issues.
- Prepare successful students to pursue further study to degree level by further study.
- Encourage students to develop their abilities in problem solving, self-directed learning and basic research techniques.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- MIN. FIVE O6/H7
- ENGLISH OR IRISH O6/H7
- MATHS O6/H7
- What will I to study?
- The Higher Certificate in Construction Technology with BIM involves the detailed study of construction technology, with an emphasis BIM. It also includes elements of building services, fire safety engineering and surveying. Students participate in computer methods & applications, practical laboratory work, measurement and integrated projects.
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Building Services & Renewable Energy 1 Mandatory 10 8 Construction Technology 1 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Construction Science Mandatory 5 4 Technical Writing & Communication Skills Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Construction & Fire Technology 2 Mandatory 10 8 Land Surveying Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science Mandatory 5 4 BIM Graphic Communications Mandatory 5 4 2/3 AEC Methods Mandatory 10 8 Construction Technology 3 Mandatory 5 5 Surveying 1 Mandatory 5 4 Structural Design & Materials Mandatory 5 4 Measurement and Construction Economics Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Integrated BIM Project Mandatory 10 6 Surveying 2 Mandatory 5 4 Renewable Energy Resources Mandatory 5 4 Building Services 2 Mandatory 5 4 Site Organisation Mandatory 5 4
- Learning Outcomes
- On completion of the programme, graduates will have the necessary skills to enable them to develop and provide construction technical services, which will typically include:-
- Undertake Construction Engineering technical work as an Engineering Technician.
- Prepare and present a 3D model and drawings of a building and present an opinion on the value of BIM to the construction industry.
- Establish survey control using GPS equipment and OSi reference and compute setting out data from a design.
- Generate and manipulate field survey data and critically evaluate the use of advanced positioning instrumentation for surveying and setting out.
- Apply the theory and principles of the main subject areas in engineering and construction.
- Perform a broad range of technical tasks under appropriate supervision in the fields of construction engineering, computer aided drawing (CAD) and 3D modelling (e.g. Revit), and surveying.
- Communicate effectively using written reports, production of drawings and giving presentations.
- Demonstrate effective presentation skills using digital media.
- Create and develop an e-portfolio and relevant documents relating to recruitment and selection.
- Follow on Courses and Professional Accreditation
- Advanced entry onto Level 7 construction related programmes at LYIT. Programmes are accredited by Engineers Ireland, CIOB and SCSI.
- Career Opportunities
- The shortage of construction and engineering technicians within the industry means that graduates have excellent career prospects. They are needed to detail, survey and construct the buildings of the future.
Typical employers include:
- Engineering consultancies
- Architectural services companies
- Building and civil engineering contractors
- Surveying consultants
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Anne Boner, Head of Department of Civil Engineering & Construction, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186403