» Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Fire Safety Engineering
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Fire Safety Engineering CAO Code LY508 LYIT internal code Duration 4 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC CAO Points Click here for CAO Points
- Is this Course for You?
- Fire Safety Engineering is a discipline which has a very high profile in Ireland and the rest of the world today with fire safety issues being heavily promoted by agencies, the media & national governments. Fire safety is a broad term, which covers a wide range of areas such as fire prevention, detection, escape, suppression and control. Whilst the concept of fire safety has been around for centuries this has largely been a ‘rule of thumb’ prescriptive regulatory approach. It has only been in last 30 years that a truly scientific approach to the phenomena of fire has been undertaken. Fire safety engineering design offers a flexible and economic alternative to prescriptive approaches especially when designing for unusual or ‘difficult’ buildings.
- The need for expertise in fire safety engineering design has arisen in the context of the use of legislative frameworks and the awareness that we need to deal more effectively with the ‘Life Safety’ problems related to occupants and fire brigade personnel inherent in modern complex building design; allied to this is a growing awareness within the construction, and related, industries that there is a market advantage to be obtained in creating building designs where the level of safety achieved has a more scientific basis than a purely qualitative one. A major impetus for fire safety design is the increased regulatory pressure on the construction industry due to property and environmental protection issues.
- The aim of the new four year BEng in Fire Safety Engineering is to deliver engineers who will have both the scientific and practical skills to undertake both prescriptive and performance based fire safety design. Students will initially take core modules in mathematics, fire science, fluids, thermodynamics, building services, construction technology and structural design along with general elements such as CAD, construction economics, law and communications. The student will then progress to fire safety subjects such as human behaviour, fire and reliability modelling, fire structural design and fire engineering techniques. The modules coupled with a work experience placement, projects and a dissertation will provide the graduate engineer from this course with a skill set unique to this country.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- 6 subjects at O6/H7
- 2 subjects at H5
- ENG/IRS at O6/H7
- Math at 06/H7
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Construction & Fire Technology 1 Mandatory 10 8 Elementary CAD Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Construction Science Mandatory 5 4 Technical Writing & Communication Skills Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Construction & Fire Technology 2 Mandatory 10 8 Building Services 1 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science Mandatory 5 4 Land Surveying Mandatory 5 4 2/3 Construction & Fire Technology 3 Mandatory 10 8 Mathematics 3 Mandatory 5 4 Fluids & Thermodynamics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Structural Design & Materials Mandatory 5 4 Measurement & Construction Economics Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Fire Science Mandatory 10 6 Mathematics 4 Mandatory 5 5 Fluids & Thermodynamics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Building Services 2 Mandatory 5 4 Site Organisation Mandatory 5 4 3/5 Fire Dynamics Mandatory 10 6 Fire Safety Design Mandatory 10 6 Fire Service Operations Mandatory 5 3 Mathematics 5 Mandatory 5 4 3/6 Work Placement Mandatory 10 Fire Protection Systems Mandatory 10 6 Mathematics 6 Mandatory 5 4 Fire Design Project Mandatory 5 4 4/7 Structual Fire Engineering Mandatory 10 6 Fire Modelling & Reliability Engineering Mandatory 10 6 Construction Law & Professional Ethics Mandatory 5 4 Dissertation Proposal Mandatory 5 3 4/8 Applications of Fire Safety Engineering Principles Mandatory 10 6 Human Behaviour in Fire Mandatory 5 4 Fire Safety Management Mandatory 5 3 Dissertation Mandatory 10 4
- Follow-on Courses and Professional Accreditation
- Master’s degree (by research) at LYIT or other institutes and universities
- Taught MSc in Fire Safety Engineering at University of Ulster
- It is intended to seek accreditation from the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE) for the course to enable graduates to become Chartered Fire Engineers with the IFE.
- Career Opportunities
- Under the current building regulations almost every type of construction requires some degree of fire safety design with most needing a formal fire safety certificate application. As a result employers such as architectural and engineering practices, large public companies and public bodies are increasingly looking for employees with specific sets of skills which include quality fire safety engineering skills.
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LYIT) has been successfully offering a one year add on level 8 BSc Hons in Fire Safety Engineering since 2001. Graduates of the BSc Hons Fire Safety Engineering are in employment throughout Ireland and also in the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Graduates of a BEng Hons in Fire Safety Engineering will be better equipped to avail of opportunities in the fire safety engineering industry and would expect to find employment in the discipline with specialist and general consultancy practices, local authorities, public bodies, contractors, manufacturing industry & other large companies.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Head of Department of Civil Engineering & Construction
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186403