» Bachelor of Engineering in Building Services & Renewable Energy
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering in Building Services & Renewable Energy CAO Code LY517 LYIT internal code LY_CBSRV_D Duration 3 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 30 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Building Services and Renewable Energy is an advanced, rapidly growing specialist field of Engineering. The profession works across the whole spectrum of the construction industry including the design and installation of services systems, the manufacture of equipment and components, facilities management and maintenance.
- Building Services Engineering requires an analytical ability to understand and solve challenging engineering problems. Building Services and Renewable Energy Engineers use their skills to ensure that modern buildings are designed to be efficient and comfortable to use.
- The programme was designed with the needs of modern building design in mind. It lays particular emphasis on the design of the building services of work and living space and on the environmental aspects of construction through concentration on the use of renewable energy and the Building Information Modelling (BIM) process.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- The basic entry requirement for admission to all Level 7 engineering programmes (Semester 1) is a pass (OD3 or better) in five Leaving Certificate subjects, including passes in Mathematics and in either Irish or English (or an equivalent qualification).
- FETAC applicants click FETAC
- Applicants presenting non-Irish exams as a basis for entry, please check the IOTCEF listing to search for the entry relevant to your country
- Applicants who are interested in taking selected modules only from this programme and/or those interested in studying this programme in a part-time mode, click Part-time Study
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Building Services & Renewable Energy 1 Mandatory 10 8 Construction Technology 1 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Construction Science Mandatory 5 4 Technical Writing & Communication Skills Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Building Services & Renewable Energy 2 Mandatory 10 8 Construction Technology 2 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science Mandatory 5 4 Electrical Services 1 Mandatory 5 4 2/3 Building Services & Renewable Energy 3 Mandatory 10 8 Control Engineering for Building Services Mandatory 5 4 Electrical Services 2 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 3 Mandatory 5 4 Fluids & Thermo –dynamics 1 Mandatory 5 5 2/4 Building Services & Renewable Energy 4 Mandatory 10 6 Renewable Energy Resources Mandatory 5 4 Electrical Services 3 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 4 Mandatory 5 4 Design Project Mandatory 5 4 3/5 Building Services & Renewable Energy 5 Mandatory 10 6 Lighting & Acoustics Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 5 Mandatory 5 4 Building Energy Modelling (BEM) Mandatory 5 4 Project 1 Mandatory 5 4 3/6 Project 2 Mandatory 10 6 Electrical Services 4 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 6 Mandatory 5 4 Fire Engineering Mandatory 5 4 Professional Practice Mandatory 5 4
- Learning Outcomes
- On completion of the programme, graduates will have knowledge of the underlying theories and fundamental concepts of:
- Building Services
- Construction Technology
- Sustainability & Energy in Construction
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Electrical Technology
- The graduate will have developed the skills required to solve common engineering problems enabling him/her to:
- Work competently and safely in the building services sector
- Communicate effectively with other engineers and the public
- Solve basic mechanical and electrical engineering problems
- Produce 2 and 3 dimensional mechanical and electrical engineering drawings
- Apply the principles of electrical/environmental control
- Produce technical reports
- Carry out investigation, design, evaluation and report for the built environment
- Conduct energy audits of buildings
- Integrate concepts of sustainability in their work.
- Follow up Courses and Professional Accreditation
- BSc (Hons) in Fire Safety Engineering at LYIT
- BSc (Hons) in Sustainable Construction Management at LYIT
- Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Honours and Masters Degree level at other Institutes or Universities in Ireland or abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Employers are increasingly looking for employees with targeted sets of skills. Following more general programmes, graduates may need further training when they enter the job market, as a result there has been a growing trend to provide programmes in new disciplines that closer meet the specific needs of modern industry. Building Services Engineering is such a discipline. Graduates of the programme have been successful in gaining employment in the growth area of Renewable Energy.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Anne Boner, Head of Department of Civil Engineering & Construction, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186403