» Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Sustainable Construction Management
Programme Title Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Sustainable Construction Management CAO Code Add-on Programme, not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_CSUST_B Duration 1 Year, post ordinary degree Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Course for You?
- The main aims of the course is to give learners training and qualification for a career in construction management and to consolidate and advance the skills and knowledge attained on their construction related level 7 programme. The programme aims to create for the learner a multi-discipline environment in which real life projects are worked on. The subjects covered give a wide range of expertise pertinent to the construction industry allied with more general business & management modules.
- Construction Management (1&2) modules will use problem based learning to introduce the learners to real life situations and challenges in pre and post contract management. The learner base will potentially consist of graduates of four different disciplines (Civil Engineering, Building Services & Renewable Energy Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Architectural Technology) who will form multi-disciplinary teams with different backgrounds and engage in teamwork and peer learning. Mature learners will bring their prior experience to the programme and contribute to a dynamic mix of professions.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- A Bachelor of Science (Level 7) in a construction related discipline such as Construction or Architectural Technology, Civil Engineering, Building Services Engineering or Quantity Surveying.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 4/7 Construction Management 1 Mandatory 10 6 Sustainable Construction Methods Mandatory 10 5 Construction Law & Professional Ethics Mandatory 5 4 Dissertation Proposal Mandatory 5 3 4/8 Construction Management 2 Mandatory 10 6 Building Energy Management Mandatory 5 4 Financial Information & Decision Making in Construction Mandatory 5 4 Dissertation Mandatory 10 4
- Follow-on Courses and Professional Accreditation
- Master’s degree at LYIT (by research) or at other institutes or universities.
- Professional membership of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Career Opportunities
- Due to the retraction of the industry, it is envisaged that there will be a lack of suitably trained construction personnel with the knowledge and skills required to manage the construction projects of the future. The programme focuses on the sustainability of construction methods as the main bulk of construction activity in Ireland is now in the area of retrofitting and energy upgrading of existing properties. The programme also introduce the learner to emerging technologies such as Building Information Modelling (BIM) that is becoming the industry standard worldwide
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Head of Department of Civil Engineering & Construction
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186403