» Master of Science in Computing in Big Data Analytics
Programme Title Master of Science in Computing in Big Data Analytics CAO Code LYIT internal code LY_KDATA_M Duration 1 year full-time or 2 to 3 years part-time Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level MSc in Big Data Analytics level-9 Award Type MSc in Big Data Analytics level-9 - Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- What is Big Data Analytics?
- Big Data Analytics is the process of examining large amounts of data of a variety of types (big data) to uncover hidden patterns, unknown correlations and other useful information. Such information can provide competitive advantages over rival organizations and result in business benefits, such as more effective marketing and increased revenue.
- Since 2012 more and more companies have moved into this field to exploit the huge volumes of data being captured by their IT systems. From banking and financial services to retail and health care and life sciences, the opportunities in big data analytics are expanding dramatically.
- Course Structure
- The MSc is a taught program which focuses on topics applicable to Big Data Analytics. The course is available in both full-time and part-time mode. It includes a dissertation component which will offer the student the opportunity to apply a range of topics covered in the course to demonstrate an extended knowledge of and ability to work in the area of Big Data Analytics. Students who do not take the dissertation may graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma in Big Data Analytics.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- Applicants will have an Honours degree in computing or an Honours degree with at least 30/40 credits in computing or who have significant computing industry experience along with their Honours degree will be considered for entry to the course. Applicants with a level-7 degree in computing and at least 3 years relevant industry experience will also be considered.
- Admission to this course will be by standard LYIT application procedure for alevel 9 course.
- Apply: Postgraduate Programmes Application Form
- What will I study?
- Bridging Course
Database Management Elective Mathematics Elective Computer Systems Elective
- Table of Modules (MSc in Big Data Analytics).
No of credits Big Data Architecture Mandatory 10 Mathematics for Analytics Mandatory 10 Business Intelligence Mandatory 10 Machine Learning Mandatory 5 Data Science Project Mandatory 10 Big Data Analytics Mandatory 15 Dissertation Mandatory 30
- Required attendance
- Attendance is on-campus. Two morning a week in part-time mode or four morning a week in full-time mode.
- Career Opportunities
- Spending on Big Data technologies and Analytics is growing at 30 per cent per annum as demand for data analytics skills continues to outstrip supply. In a 2013 survey carried out by SAP, three-quarters of firms report a lack of staff or graduates with data science skills. The finding from the survey of 300 businesses found that six out of ten companies last year had problems hiring personnel they needed for data analytics. Additionally, 84% of companies would like specific training to integrate analytics into their day-to-day work, as most businesses (92%) said that they had seen the amount of data grow in their organisations over the last 12 months. According to Richard Bruton, TD, Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation “Big data is a sector which offers great potential for Ireland, and which we have targeted as part of our Action Plan for Jobs. In recent years, we have seen some major announcements in this sector.”
- For articles which you might find helpful see:
Top Tech Jobs 2015 - Big Data and Analytics
We’re at the beginning of tremendous development in data analytics – ACIA CEO
Up to 21,000 big data jobs in next 4 years - Examiner
International firms see Ireland as favorable location for big data investment - study
- To see what’s going on in the Department of Computing check out our Facebook Page
- Academic Partnership with Cloudera
- Non-EU/EEA Applicants
- The tuition and registration fees for this course are €9000, no additional scholarships are available.
The start date is September of each year.
English EILTS 5.5 is required
- Applicants require:
- An undergraduate honours degree in computing or an equivalent qualification. OR
- In certain circumstances an honours degree in a different discipline plus at least 5 years industry experience in computing may be considered on a case by case basis. The quality of your computing experience will be a significant factor in determining your eligibility.
- Please note: “The Irish Government has agreed to extend the Third Level Graduate Scheme, for non-EU/EEA students at level 9 and above of the National Framework of Qualifications. The new permission will double the ‘stay back option’ for masters and PhD students from 12 months to 24 months. This will allow eligible graduates who have studied in Irish higher education institutions and whose award is granted by a recognised Irish awarding body at Masters or PhD level to remain in Ireland for two years to seek employment. http://www.educationinireland.com/en/News/Ireland-24-Month-Stay-Back-Option-.html
- For further information on the application process, visas etc. please contact Jill Murphy in the International Office (email@example.com)
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Thomas Dowling, Head of Department of Computing, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6304