» Bachelor of Science in Computing in Information Technology Support
Programme Title Bachelor of Science in Computing in Information Technology Support CAO Code Add-on programme, not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_KITSP_D Duration 1 year, post Higher Certificate Standard Code Places: 24 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This Level 7 programme is designed to build on knowledge gained during the level 6 Higher Certificate in Information Technology Support. It will broaden the scope and depth of this knowledge and give the graduate the skills required to carry out the planning, organisation and implementation of a range of different types of computer systems.
- For Testimonials from a number of former students of the course follow this link.
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 3/5 Software Design Mandatory 5 4 Networks Mandatory 10 6 Software Development Mandatory 5 4 Structured Query Language (SQL) and Database Development Mandatory 10 6 3/6 Dynamic Web Design & Development Mandatory 5 4 Computer Systems Administration Mandatory 10 6 Agile Testing & Quality Assurance Mandatory 10 6 GUI Application Development Mandatory 5 4
- Learning Outcomes
- On completion of the programme the graduate will have:
- Knowledge and understanding of a range of computer skills;
- The ability to demonstrate specialist skills required for working in a range of key ICT sectors including software development, database development and infrastructure.
- The ability to apply and integrate conceptual and theoretical information relating to the skills above;
- The ability to review available technologies, implement system modelling techniques, design and implement computer systems;
- The ability to analyse and evaluate information and based on that information be able to formulate and appraise well documented solutions;
- The skills required to make decisions and justify those decisions in relation to the task;
- The ability to design and develop computer systems in a structured manner following an appropriate decision making process;
- The ability to recognise best-practice across a range of legal and ethical areas;
- The ability to plan and organise work and interact effectively as part of a team;
- The ability to develop and formalise original ideas using a range of tools;
- The ability to demonstrate specialist skills required for working in the computing industry;
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Progression is available to a one year level 8 Honours Degree in Computer Service Management internally at LYIT. See: course details page.
- Follow up programmes elsewhere include:
- On completion of this programme graduates may also go on to study for their Honours Degree at other ITs and Universities in Ireland and abroad. Progression is available internationally to second cycle (i.e. 'Bologna Masters') degree programmes.
- Career Opportunities
- So what kind of job would you like to do? Graduates of this programme will be prepared to work as a computer systems administrator, specify, configure and manage large multi-user computer systems, plan, organise and provide computer services in a wide range of businesses and develop and support Internet Web sites for e-Commerce. All of these careers are open to our computing graduates; it's your choice.
- In addition to the national demand for computing graduates there are several large computing companies in the Northwest such as Pramerica which is based in Letterkenny, Northbrook which has operations in Derry and Strabane and SITA which is owned by the air transport industry and has recently announced a major jobs expansion.
- For independent information on employment and salaries in the IT industry see the following report which covers 2010-2011: Jobs and Salaries in IT.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Thomas Dowling, Head of Department of Computing, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 918 6304