» Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media Design
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media Design CAO Code LY427 LYIT internal code LY_DCDMD_D Duration 3 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Practice based and people focused, this course develops a student’s ability to communicate across a wide spectrum of digital media; employing audio, video and motion design in the creation of content, and principles of interactivity in the creation of digital experiences that engage the intended audience. Creativity, artistry, communication and innovation are at the heart of everything we do. We champion and foster a culture of creative exploration, artistic expression, mastery and risk-taking.
- However, we never lose site of the fact that as communicators, we must always consider the message and the audience when developing creative solutions that are both appropriate and engaging. We also place a great deal of emphasis on the execution. Without a strong idea to begin with, execution means very little, but without an aesthetic sense or the ability to bring a creative vision to life, the best of ideas can fall at the first hurdle.
- Our goal is to develop graduates who can think imaginatively and bring their ideas and the ideas of others to life through a creative and artistic approach to digital communication.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants should have grade D3 or better in at least 5 subjects in the Leaving Certificate, including either Irish or English. Maths is not required. Leaving Cert Art is not required though desirable. Entry is based on Leaving Certificate or FETAC results only. There is no portfolio assessment – however, it should be noted that this is a highly creative programme and demands the artistic engagement of learners.
- FETAC applicants click FETAC
- Applicants presenting non-Irish exams as a basis for entry, please check the IOTCEF listing to search for the entry relevant to your country
- Applicants who are interested in taking selected modules only from this programme and/or those interested in studying this programme in a part-time mode, click Part-time Study
- Mature applicants
- Should apply via the CAO, making sure they tick the relevant boxes on pages 2 and 3 of the CAO application form.
- What will I study?
- Year 1 introduces the student to the principles of design and digital media as well as the basics of drawing, observation, photography, scriptwriting, storyboarding and cinematography. The emphasis in Year 1 is on developing creativity and understanding of the design process.
- Year 2 concentrates on the development of digital skills and creative processes with modules on Audio Video Production and Interactive Design. Film History traces the development of the medium through the 20th Century while Digital design & New Media looks at how the new media landscape is fundamentally altering the relationships between producers and consumers of digital content. Year 2 allows for an elective module in the second semester. The student may choose from Coding for the Web, Design & Marketing or a Work Placement.
- In Year 3, the first semester develops their interdisciplinary skills creating narrative based interactive experiences as well as group projects and industry engagement. In the final semester, modules on the Digital Media Business and Promotional Design prepare the student for life after college while the Design Project allows the student to produce a self-directed final project showcasing their skills and specialism.
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Design Principles Mandatory 10 8 The Design process Mandatory 5 4 Photography Mandatory 5 4 Communication Skills Mandatory 5 3 Sound Recording, Mixing & Production Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Audio Video – Cinematography Mandatory 10 7 Visual Communication Mandatory 10 7 Design History Mandatory 5 3 Image Making for Motion Narratives Mandatory 5 3 2/3 Interaction Design - Principles Mandatory 10 6 Audio Video – Studio & Field Mandatory 10 6 Film History Mandatory 5 3 Image Manipulation & Painting Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Interactivity – Online Narrative Mandatory 10 6 Audio & Video – Post-Production Mandatory 10 6 Design Theory - Digital Design & New Media Mandatory 5 3 Coding for the Web Elective 5 3 Design & Marketing Elective 5 3 Work Placement Elective 5 3 3/5 Interactivity – Brand Experience Mandatory 15 7 Motion Design Mandatory 10 6 Design Theory - Advertising & Branding Mandatory 5 3 3/6 Design Project Mandatory 15 7 Business of Digital Media Mandatory 5 3 Flexible & Promotional Design Mandatory 5 3 App Design & Development Mandatory 5 3
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- On successful completion of this programme, students may apply to progress to the Level 8 Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Digital Media, Design & Production at LYIT
- Graduates from this programme may also apply to pursue further studies to relevant level 8 programmes at other Institutes and Universities in Ireland and abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Graduates from this programme are multi-skilled and may find employment with media and design companies, small creative enterprises or freelance in a range of fields including, web design, video production, sound design and multimedia production.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: