» Bachelor of Arts in Fashion with Promotion
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts in Fashion with Promotion CAO Code LY447 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Have you a flair for fashion? Are you creative, innovative and business minded? Do you want to bring innovation and business acumen to the fashion industry? Do you want to develop fashion products and use photography and film to promote your business idea on-line? Then, this is the course for you!
- Students on this new course will explore their own creative strengths. The first year will focus on investigating and generating ideas through a wide range of drawing and mark-making methods. Students will also explore fashion trends and will be taught how to assemble mood boards and product boards. A sketchbook will be required at all times and will be assessed as part of the students’ personal development.
- There is a fashion design project in each of the three years, which is very much concept-driven. In the first year, this project involves the making of a prototype through paper or the re-design of an existing garment. In the second year the emphasis will be on designing a marketable fashion product – this may be a garment or a fashion accessory, it could be a range of fabrics / wallpapers / soft furnishings. At this stage the student will have defined their own niche in the fashion market and will focus on strengthening their chosen career path with the guidance of expert staff into their third and final year. Fashion history and culture supports and contextualises the studio practice throughout the programme.
- Photography and moving image will be taught as it is used and required by the fashion industry and to promote the students individual products through media channels. Photography is taught in first year and in addition to formal projects, students are expected to treat the camera as an extension to their sketchbook, gathering inspiration and generating ideas throughout the three years. Moving image is taught from second year and will add to an exciting range of skills through which the student can pitch their product.
- The visual identity, branding and packaging of the product along with expertise in retailing and marketing, will ensure that the student takes their product to market in the most professional, cost effective and contemporary manner.
- Essential skills in business management including how to cost and source a fashion product compliment the design process and strengthen the student’s business acumen.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Min. Five O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- LC Art or Portfolio
- Applicants must have either Leaving Certificate Art or Design Communication Graphics or equivalent or will be required to submit a portfolio of design related work.
- FETAC applicants click FETAC
- Please consult this link if you are presenting exams from EU/EFTA countries as a basis for entry
Applicants presenting exams Northern Ireland or the UK as a basis for entry should also consult the information on this page.
- Applicants who are interested in taking selected modules only from this programme and/or those interested in studying this programme in a part-time mode, click Part-time Study
- Mature applicants
- Should apply via the CAO, making sure they tick the relevant boxes on pages 2 and 3 of the CAO application form.
- What will I study?
- Year 1 covers the fundamentals of fashion design and techniques of visual communication. In semester 1, students look at the influences that determine trends, exploring design possibilities within a 2D and 3D fashion context as well as developing their drawing, photography, software and communication skills. In Semester 2, they further develop their photography, illustration, mark making and fashion design skills. Semester 2 introduces the student to sewing techniques and the history of fashion up to the start of the 20th Century.
- Year 2 continues to develop the learner’s knowledge and understanding of fashion design and development and they begin their exploration of fashion promotion. In Semester 3, the learner is challenged with designing print graphics for fashion, which allows for a mix of live industry projects or competitions. The learner will work with fashion photography post processing and will gain an understanding of fabrics, fibres, processes and technical innovation and also learn about Fashion History and culture. The Fashion Project. Semester 4 focuses on designing a marketable product and advancing the sewing and pattern cutting skills introduced in Semester 2.Learners will be introduced to moving image both through drawing and film- capture devices for use on social media platforms. Design theory will contextualize the studio practice through advertising and branding
- Year 3 brings an opportunity for the student to develop their own unique body of work and expertise in the fashion industry. In Semester 5 the student will create a brand and apply this brand to both print and screen platforms. Fashion marketing and product management are also covered. Students will be guided through sourcing and costing a product including critical dates. Fashion Promotion through Media Channels is continued from Semester 4, and students will go on work placement in January. Semester 6 culminates in a major fashion project and accompanying on-line promotion portfolio. This will offer an opportunity for learners to launch their own business.
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Design Principles Mandatory 10 7 Trends Research and Fashion Sketchbook Mandatory 10 7 Photography 1 – Ambient Mandatory 5 4 Communication Skills Mandatory 5 3 1/2 Fashion Design & Development 1 Mandatory 10 7 Drawing Studies & Mark Making Mandatory 10 7 Photography 2 - Studio Mandatory 5 4 Fashion History 1 Mandatory 5 3 2/3 Graphic Pattern for Fashion Mandatory 15 9 Photography 3 – Post Processing Mandatory 5 4 Technical Innovation in Fashion Mandatory 5 4 Fashion History and Culture Mandatory 5 3 2/4 Fashion Design & Development 2 Mandatory 15 9 Fashion Promotion through Moving Image Mandatory 5 4 Social Media Promotion Mandatory 5 4 Design Theory: Advertising & Branding Mandatory 5 3 3/5 Graphic Design For Fashion Promotion Mandatory 10 6 Fashion Marketing & Product Management Mandatory 10 6 Fashion Promotion through Media Channels Mandatory 5 4 Work Placement Mandatory 5 (39) 3/6 Major Design Project Mandatory 15 8 Business Skills and Enterprise Mandatory 10 5 Personal Promotion - Setting up an Online Presence Mandatory 5 3
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Progression from this course will comply with the National Qualifications Framework. It is intended that the programme will develop and hone specialist knowledge. On successful completion of this programme candidates may be eligible to progress onto Level 8 programmes in the field of Fashion with Promotion.
- Career Opportunities
- Successful graduates will be equipped with a versatile and unique blend of design and promotional skills to prepare them for a career path in fashion related design, fashion advertising and marketing, fashion PR and retail, fashion styling, fashion photography or film promotion. They may wish to set up their own small business or engage with larger organisations.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: