» Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Animation
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Animation CAO Code Add-on programme, not available via CAO LYIT internal code LY_DANIM_B Duration 1 year. Advanced entry into Year 4 Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This one-year add-on Level 8 programme is designed to allow you to specialise in your chosen area of animation production. Animation is a vast art form, it is used to entertain, eduacte and instruct. This year is designed to allow you to gain both industry knowledge and experience while allowing you the time and space needed to hone your craft and produce your own animated film, tv series idea or animation showcase.
- While you are developing your personal animation production, you will undertake a number of industry projects which will run alongside. These projects will include group projects as well as individual live project briefs from Animation companies such as DogEars, Cartoon Saloon and Kavaleer films. The dissertation enables you to research in depth an area of animation that particularly interests you. The Innovation & Creativity module aims to afford you a working knowledge of the business side of animation; the role of the producer in getting ideas and projects off the ground as well as an awareness of the selling/ pitching/ funding platforms in Ireland, UK and Europe. You will also develop an online portfolio and showreel during the programme.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- The programme is offered in full-time mode for one year. Applicants must have a relevant Level 7 award with 180 ECTS credits and appropriate learning outcomes in Animation or a related area. Equivalent qualifications will be considered.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 4/7 Pre-Production Mandatory 15 7 Industry Project Mandatory 5 3 Dissertation Mandatory 10 5 4/8 Production Mandatory 25 12 Innovation & Creativity Mandatory 5 3
- Learning Outcomes
- The final examination for the Degree consists of a combination of project work, an extended essay / dissertation or report on an individually selected design topic, and continuous assessment. On successful completion of this programme the graduate will:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the varied skills, tools and practices relevant to the field of animation and apply this knowledge creatively to individual practice.
- Select, evaluate and utilise appropriate research materials and formulate personal responses.
- Articulate a critical awareness of the historical, visual, technical and cultural factors that have shaped animation production.
- Exercise critical judgment in conceptualising, developing and realising finished professional standard work.
- Manage the planning, scheduling, resourcing and use of appropriate media in response to an animation brief.
- Construct cogent responses to unfamiliar situations and contexts through research, problem-solving and independent critical thinking.
- Act effectively under guidance in a peer relationship with internal and external practitioners.
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- On successful completion of this programme, students may apply to progress to the MA in Motion Graphics at Lyit or Masters programmes at other Institutes and Universities in Ireland and abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Graduates from this programme are multi-skilled and may find employment with animation, media and design companies, small creative enterprises or freelance. Talented Animators have excellent career prospects in this exciting growing industry.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: