» Master of Arts in Motion Graphics
Programme Title Master of Arts in Motion Graphics CAO Code Add-on programme, not available via CAO LYIT internal code DMOTG Duration 1 year full time, 2 years part-time Standard Code Places: 15 National Framework Level 9 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The development of motion graphics has posed unique challenges to the modern graphic designer. Acquisition of new skills such as sound design, cinematography and animation are now needed together with an understanding of how best to utilise them in order to enhance communication.
- Connections between the student’s area of study and contextual, historical and professional issues will be emphasised. Semester 1 will focus on developing the advanced skills, theory and techniques that will allow them to negotiate an individual major communication project linked to a final thesis in Semester 2.
- This programme should be of interest to graduates from design related subjects such as graphic design, visual communication, animation and digital media.
- The programme can be completed in either 1 calendar year full-time, or 2 calendar years as a part-time course.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants must have attained a 2nd class honours or higher at honours degree level (Level 8) in graphic design or a related area.
An interview with portfolio will be offered to shortlisted candidates. The portfolio should display evidence of drawing, design, visual research and creativity.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules No of credits Class hours per week Part-time 1 Type, Image, Motion 1 10 6 year 1 Collaborateive Design Thinking 5 3 year 1 Major Design Project - Research & Development 10 6 year 2 Academic Writing 5 1 year 2 2 Type, Image, Motion 2 15 6 year 1 Major Design Project Production 15 6 year 2 Thesis 15 1 year 2
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who have successfully completed this programme will have:
- A systematic command on creative motion graphic theory, concepts and methods undepinned by an advanced comprehension of historical contexts and trends
- Demonstrated an advanced critical approach to motion graphics and proposed new creative insights into motion graphics work.
- Shown a creative mastery of motion graphics in creating a comprehensive portfolio of original work that demonstrates professional knowledge and engagement reinforced by a critical awareness of the interdisciplinarity and diversity that constitutes motion graphic design
- Selected from complex and advanced skills in the creative design and mediation of motion graphics work and developed new skills, including novel and emerging techniques.
- Worked effectively in a creative production environment adapting to the varied needs of clients, the public, and fellow professionals in the demanding but often ill-defined contexts of the motion graphics professional.
- Justified and defended creative motion graphic work giving reference to the historical and cultural framework of motion graphics and current developments and debates in motion graphic practise.
- Demonstrated an advanced level of scholarship, self-direction and originality in defining and enacting motion graphic problems and solutions.
- Scrutinised, reflected and will aspire to influence cultural and ethical norms.
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Progression is possible to Research Masters and Doctoral Programmes in Institutes and Universities within Ireland and abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Motion Graphic Designers will find opportunities within graphic design, multimedia, web design, broadcast television, film, advertising, arts and corporate communications. Graphic designers who wish to pursue a traditional print career will also find their employability enhanced with this MA.
- The Programme commences in September each year and the fee for the Master of Arts in Motion Graphics is currently €5,000. The fee for Non-Eu students is €9,000.
- Tax relief is available on fees paid – up to €5,000 at the standard rate
You may be eligible for a grant, subject to means test – please contact your local grant awarding authority. If you qualified for a grant as an undergraduate then you may qualify again – this is subject to the grant regulations which are not administered by LYIT. You can find relevant information at Student Finance
- Mature students (over 23 years) who are long term unemployed may also receive subvention – at the time of writing there were some schemes in place, you would need to contact your local welfare officer.
- This course begins in September each year. Apply: Postgraduate Programmes Application Form
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: