» BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING WITH DEGREE AWARD OPTIONS: ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING OR COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering with Degree Options in
Electronics or Computer Engineering
CAO Code LY607 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Electronics and Computer Engineering offer a wide range of application areas and both are central to almost all aspects of modern life. Applications can range from nanotechnology to large scale systems and they impact areas such as mobile devices and wireless communications; energy, robotics and automation; computing and networking, biotechnology, and biomedical devices.
As a LYIT Electronics or Computer Engineering student, you’ll enrol in a common first year, which allows you to gain an understanding of both of these engineering disciplines, before being offered or choosing your area of specialisation. The common first year leads to the following programmes:
- Entry Requirements
- The basic entry requirement for admission to all Level 7 engineering programmes (Semester 1) is a pass (OD3 or better) in five Leaving Certificate subjects, including passes in Mathematics and in either Irish or English (or an equivalent qualification). Foundation/Alternative Maths is not acceptable.
- Applicants from Northern Ireland will require
- 5 recognised subjects at GCSE grade C or better, which must include
- English (or Irish)
- at least one A-level ( grade E or better.) (Applied A-levels are accepted)
- a minimum of 140 points
GCSEs at grade C and better can be used to contribute to the basic matriculation requirements - but are not counted for points. AS levels and A-levels are counted for points subject to certain terms and conditions, i.e. you can’t count a subject twice, exams must be taken in a single sitting . See here for the GCSE/GCE scoring mechanism.
NI Applicants presenting awards other than A-levels as a basis for entry are non–standard applicants. Non-standard awards are not included in the CAO central scoring mechanism. Nonetheless LYIT will consider non-standard awards, provided they are at UK framework level 3 or higher. Applicants presenting non-standard awards should send copy certificates to CAO and, thereafter, should contact email@example.com directly, informing us of your Name, CAO number, and the non-standard awards you intend to present.
- What will I have to study?
COMMON FIRST YEAR Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Mathematics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science Mandatory 5 5 Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Mandatory 5 4 Intro to Electronic Engineering Mandatory 5 4 Digital Fundamentals & Fabrication Techniques Mandatory 5 7 1/2 Mathematics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Electrical Technology Mandatory 5 5 Programming 1 Mandatory 10 6 Analogue Electronics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Monitoring & Control Mandatory 5 4