» Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
Programme Title Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering CAO Code LY617 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Mechanical Engineering is a central element of almost all industries. It encompasses the design, construction and maintenance of machines and the generation and utilisation of power. The scope for mechanical engineering covers an increasingly diverse range of industries including: aerospace, textiles, medical, transport, power generation, computers and electronics. Even where an end product is not mechanical in nature the processes and plant that manufactures it almost certainly are.
- The programme provides a deeper exposure to Mechanical Engineering topics including: industrial power systems using compressed air and hydraulics, machine design using computer systems, industrial electronics control systems, characteristics and applications of engineering materials. Practical content includes hands-on experience in PLC systems and in pneumatic and hydraulic control systems, and computer aided design laboratories.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- The basic entry requirement for admission to all Level 7 engineering programmes (Semester 1) is a pass (OD3 or better) in five Leaving Certificate subjects, including passes in Mathematics and in either Irish or English (or an equivalent qualification). Foundation/Alternative Maths is not acceptable.
- FETAC applicants click FETAC
- Applicants presenting non-Irish exams as a basis for entry, please check the IOTCEF listing to search for the entry relevant to your country
- Applicants who are interested in taking selected modules only from this programme and/or those interested in studying this programme in a part-time mode, click Part-time Study
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Mechanics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Machine Tool Technology 1 Mandatory 5 6 Engineering Drawing Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 1 Mandatory 5 4 Communications & IT 1 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science 1 Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Mechanics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Machine Tool Technology 2 Mandatory 5 4 CAD Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 2 Mandatory 5 4 Electronic Fundamentals Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Science 2 Mandatory 5 4 2/3 Mechanics 3 Mandatory 5 4 Machine Tool Technology 3 Mandatory 5 6 Mechanical Design 1 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 3 Mandatory 5 4 Energy and Power 1 Mandatory 5 4 Monitoring and Control Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Mechanics 4 Mandatory 5 4 Materials Mandatory 5 2 Project Mandatory 5 6 Mathematics 4 Mandatory 5 4 Energy and Power 2 Mandatory 5 4 Mechanical Design 2 Mandatory 5 2 3/5 Pneumatic Control Mandatory 5 4 Mechanics of Materials & Machines 1 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Management 1 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 5 Mandatory 5 4 Mechanical Design 3 Mandatory 5 4 Project 1 Mandatory 5 6 3/6 Industrial Hydraulics Mandatory 5 4 Mechanics of Materials & Machines 2 Mandatory 5 4 Engineering Management 2 Mandatory 5 4 Mathematics 6 Mandatory 5 4 Mechanical Design 4 Mandatory 5 4 Project Mandatory 5 4
- Learning Outcomes
- The graduate will be able to:
- Research and develop an engineering design for a mechanical component/system integrating concepts from: Machine Design; Engineering Science; Engineering Management
- Safely manufacture components/systems in an engineering environment.
- The graduate will have skills to:
- solve a wide variety of engineering problems i.e. pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanics, design and control systems.
- produce three-dimensional solid models of parts/assemblies using modelling software
- demonstrate an understanding of complex hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- demonstrate a knowledge of the application of computers and PLCs in the control of machines
- apply engineering management techniques
- clearly present technical information both verbally and in written form.
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- B.Eng Honours in Mechanical Engineering at LYIT, click here for more information.
- Graduates from this programme may pursue further studies to Honours Degree and Masters level at other Universities in Ireland or abroad.
- Career Opportunities
- Mechanical Engineering technicians find work in a wide range of different jobs. For example, you may work:
- as a project technician involved with the design, installation and testing of new pieces of equipment,
- as a maintenance engineer, supervising a group of maintenance people, to ensure production machinery runs smoothly with minimum breakdowns.
- in technical sales, presenting technical aspects of specialist engineering equipment to clients.
- as a field service technician, installing and maintaining industrial automation equipment.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Dr Jim Morrison, Head of Department of Electronics & Mechanical Engineering, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186401