» Bachelor of Science in Culinary Science – Bakery and Confectionery Technology
Programme Title Bachelor of Science in Culinary Science – Bakery and Confectionery Technology CAO Code LY337 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years (1 semester common entry and 2.5 years specialisation) Standard Code Places: 26 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Whether you want to start your own business baking artisan breads, become a chocolatier or patissier or work in food technology or new product development, this course will give you the practical skills, technical ability and scientific knowledge you need for future success.
- The bakery and confectionery industry offers a creative and highly competitive work environment. We have developed this course in consultation with industry experts to provide you with the high level of technical and operational skills needed to succeed at senior management level or as a business entrepreneur.
- This course will focus on the technical and scientific skills needed to be successful in the industry, raising awareness of entrepreneurship opportunities and providing experience in a broad range of baking and confectionery processes.
- The bakery and confectionery industry is international in character and includes businesses from small artisan bakeries, large scale mass production bakeries, chocolatiers, pastry and dessert manufacturers and delicatessens. In Ireland, it has expanded rapidly in the last decade giving rise to a growing demand for professional bakery managers. This programme offers a wide range of opportunities for individuals who wish to pursue a career in baking and confectionery production, innovation and management. The overall objective of the programme is to develop the individual with the requisite social, technical, business, scientific and practical skills, underpinned by a strong knowledge base in order to pursue successful and fulfilling careers in the baking and confectionery industries.
- Why should I choose this course?
- You will be introduced to the science and technology of bakery and confectionery and understand their nutritional contribution to a balanced diet.
- You will learn about managing a confectionery business for profit by studying areas such as quality assurance and how to start your own enterprise.
- You will participate in creative study skills to help you perform well in the academic aspects of this course.
- You will get the chance to work in our new Food Science and Innovation Suite, which features the latest food testing and diagnostic technology alongside state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
- We have fantastic links with a variety of bakery and confectionery industries, which means a wealth of opportunities for students with regards to guest lecturers, industry research, work placements and visits..
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 1/2 Breads and Savoury Goods Mandatory 10 8 Human Nutrition Mandatory 5 3 Information Technology and Descriptive Statistics Mandatory 5 4 Fundamentals of Food Science – Chemistry Mandatory 5 5 Fundamentals of Food Science – Physics Mandatory 5 5 2/3 Pastry and Desserts Mandatory 10 8 Cost Identification and Control Mandatory 5 3 Food Technology – Unit Operations Mandatory 10 7 Food Chemistry Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Sweet Enriched Doughs and Viennoiserie Mandatory 5 5 Management and Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 3 Food Technology – Cereals, Fruit and Vegetables Mandatory 10 6 Advanced Food Chemistry Mandatory 10 7 3/5 Confectionery, Chocolate and Sugar Craft Mandatory 10 6 Food Fermentation Mandatory 10 6 Food Microbiology Mandatory 10 7 3/6 Semester Abroad/Internship Mandatory 30
- Upon completion of this programme, graduates will be awarded a Bachelor of Science in Culinary Science – Bakery and Confectionery Technology.
- Each graduate will have an opportunity to progress to an existing add-on level 8 programme, BSc (Hons) Culinary Arts and Food Technology, and similar programmes elsewhere in Higher Education.
- Career Opportunities
- Opportunities are available to the graduate in both domestic and international settings. These career opportunities include: Bakery Production and Management in large scale mass-production bakeries; Delicatessen and Bakery/Food Product Development, Specialist Pastry Chef in upscale hotels. There are also entrepreneurial opportunities for Artisan Bread, Confectionery, Chocolate and Sugarcraft, Ice-cream and frozen desserts, Bakery and Pastry based operations. In addition, there may be opportunities for graduates in education, consultancy and research.
- How to Apply
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism