» Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts
Programme Title Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts CAO Code LY346 LYIT internal code LY_GACRT_C Duration 2 Years Standard Code Places: 48 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC Funded by Failte Ireland Yes, in 2013-2014
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This full-time, two-year programme is the fundamental training programme for aspiring professional chefs. It prepares participants for entry to the profession in a variety of food preparation establishments, and ensures training in Hygiene and HACCP.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- MIN. FIVE O6/H7
- ENGLISH OR IRISH O6/H7
- I am a mature person, can I apply?
- Applicants who will be 23 years of age or older by the 1st January in the year of entry and who have appropriate work experience in the hospitality or related industry, may be exempted from the academic requirements outlined above and admitted to the programme following an interview, provided they have applied, via CAO, before February 1st.
- Will I have to pay course fees?
- As Fáilte Ireland is committed to strengthening its recognised role as a major driving force behind the training, education and placement of culinary arts and hospitality students, Fáilte Ireland will fund both the tuition and student contribution fees of this programme
- Applicants who are accepted onto this course will be expected to provide appropriate uniform and knife set, books etc. Exact requirements will be advised to the successful applicants.
- How long will I have to study?
- The Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts is a two year full time programme which is designed to cover both theory and practice professional kitchen operations. Work based learning, between year 1 and 2, is an integral component of this programme and students may undertake this in Ireland or abroad.
- What benefits can be gained by undertaking this programme?
- If you are accepted for training you will receive:
- Training by highly skilled professionals
- EU-recognised qualification
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Culinary Fundamentals Mandatory 10 8 Bakery & Pastry Mandatory 10 8 Learning to Learn Mandatory 5 4 Desktop Publishing & Business Maths Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Hospitality Food and Beverage Operations Mandatory 10 8 Culinary Operations Mandatory 10 8 Communications Mandatory 5 4 Information Technology and Descriptive Statistics Mandatory 5 4 2/3 Culinary Techniques, Nutrition and Science Mandatory 10 8 International Cuisine Mandatory 10 8 Food and Beverage Cost Control Mandatory 5 3 Gastronomy Elective 5 3 French Language and Culture 1 Elective 5 3 2/4 Culinary Events & Promotions Mandatory 5 4 Business Law and Ethics Mandatory 5 3 Bakery and Desserts Mandatory 10 8 Seafood Processing and Culinary Practice Mandatory 5 4 Management and Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 3
- What is the aim of this programme?
- This programme prepares you for employment as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality industry.
- Are there follow-up programmes available?
- Graduates may progress from this programme to the Bachelor of Arts in Culinary Arts or other compatible Culinary Arts degree programmes.
- What career opportunities will this course provide?
- There is always a need for qualified chefs in hotels, restaurants, licensed trade, cruise ships, industrial and hospital catering and in other food-related businesses. Career promotion can be rapid from Commis Chef to Chef De Partie and ultimately Head Chef or Executive Chef. These opportunities are open equally to men and woman. Many past graduates in the area of culinary arts have very successful careers and some have established very successful businesses.
- When does the course commence?
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism
- Information may be subject to change by agencies other than LYIT.
LYIT reserves the right to change information provided at any time