» Higher Diploma in Arts in Food Product Development
(Incorporating a Certificate in Industrial Studies – Minor Award)
Programme Title Higher Diploma in Arts in Food Product Development CAO Code LYIT internal code Duration 1 Year Standard Code Places: 16 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The Higher Diploma in Food Product Development is a conversion programme aimed at graduates to meet the needs of those progressing from undergraduate qualifications in science, the social sciences and humanities as well as from more applied and inter-disciplinary undergraduate programmes such as business and management. The course is also focussed to meet the career and personal development needs of professionals from the public, private, community or voluntary sectors. This programme has been designed to promote and encourage the synthesis of advanced knowledge and skills in the area of food product innovation, planning, design and development. The programme takes a broad entrepreneurial view of food product development, exploring issues and problems relevant to a wide range of situations and issues that managers and other professionals are likely to face.
- The aim of this programme is to equip participants with the necessary expertise to manage, co-ordinate and develop food product development businesses and projects in Ireland and abroad and develop the knowledge, skills and competencies required for food innovation professionals who can contribute strategically to the creation of unique food products.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- This course will be available to applicants who meet the following criteria: Applicants should hold a honours bachelor degree in a non-cognate discipline or a bachelor degree in a related discipline.
- What will I have to study?
Phase Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours 1/1 Culinary Practice for Food Product Development* Mandatory 5 4(+4) Consumer Behaviour in Food Marketing Mandatory 5 3 Food Product Innovation Mandatory 10 4 Quality Assurance and Food Regulatory Affairs Mandatory 10 5 1/2 Food Products – Design and Development Mandatory 10 6 Strategic Marketing Management Mandatory 10 5 Work Placement Mandatory 10 6
- Career Opportunities
- Nowadays, consumers increasingly demand healthy, safe and tasty foods. As a food product developer, you analyse consumers and their demands in terms of marketing, product quality and culinary skills. Market research, knowledge of production processes and product properties, and, perhaps most importantly, understanding what happens in the human body when we consume food, are crucial in developing new foodstuffs. You study the chemical, microbiological and chemical composition of food, while you also dive into the fascinating world of nutrition, flavour, trends, trade and health.
- How you I apply?
- Application should be made directly to the School of Tourism.
Completed Applications should be returned to:
Admissions, School of Tourism (LyIT), Shore Road, Killybegs, Co Donegal
Tel No (074) 9186600 Fax No (074) 9186601
- Direct Entry Application Form
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism