» Certificate in Marine Tourism and Seafood Fundamentals
Programme Title Certificate in Marine Tourism and Seafood Fundamentals CAO Code LYIT internal code Duration 6 Months (one semester – 13 weeks) Standard Code Places: 32 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Special Purpose Awarding Body LYIT
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This programme has been developed as a Level 6 Special Purpose Award by LYIT’s School of Tourism in collaboration with Donegal County Council and Údarás na Gaeltachta. The programme forms part of a larger ‘Donegal Atlantic Coastal Trail Project’. The project is funded under the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine Commission for the Economic Development of Rural Areas scheme (CEDRA) and Údarás na Gaeltachta.
- Donegal’s Atlantic Coastal Trail is an innovative food and marine tourism project focused on marine leisure and seafood experiences, which will advance rural, coastal and island economic development in County Donegal. The programme has been developed to assist owners and employees of all types of tourism enterprises located in County Donegal. If you are interested in seafood and marine/coastal tourism and wish to gain a greater understanding of these areas, this programme is designed for you
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants must have achieved 5 Ordinary Level D3 in the Leaving Certificate, including English or Irish (in 2017 these will become 5 O6/H7 grades), Full QQI Level 5 Award in any discipline or equivalent. Or
- Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) or mature students over 23
- What will I have to study?
Phase Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours 1/1 Seafood Processing and Culinary Practice Mandatory 5 4 Marine Tourism Mandatory 5 3
- On successful completion of this programme, learners will be able to apply for exemptions from related modules on the BA Hospitality and Tourism (Common Entry) and BA Culinary Arts or other similar programmes offered by the School of Tourism.
- Career Opportunities
- This programme specialises in developing skills and competencies across areas pertaining to seafood processing and marine tourism, with particular reference to operating a tourism related business in costal/rural location. Specifically, graduates of this programme will have developed key skills which can be used in a variety of tourism enterprises including seafood production, hotels, restaurants, bars and tourism activity providers related to a wide range of marine tourism activities.
- How you I apply?
- Application should be made directly to the School of Tourism.
Completed Applications should be returned to:
Admissions, School of Tourism (LyIT), Shore Road, Killybegs, Co Donegal
Tel No (074) 9186600 Fax No (074) 9186601
- Marine Tourism and Seafood Fundamentals - Application Form
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism