» Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery –Immersion
Programme Title Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery –Immersion CAO Code Not available through CAO LYIT internal code LY_GPOCK_F Duration 9 months - 1 Year Standard Code Places: 16 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body FETAC Funded by Failte Ireland Yes
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The programme is an adaption of Failte Ireland’s flagship Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery (Fetac Level 6). It is designed to be delivered as an intensive nine month immersion programme, integrating theory and practice. It has been developed to provide a relevant professional qualification for those who wish to embark on a career in professional cookery.
This premier programme offers high quality hands-on education where both theory and practical elements are delivered in state-of-the art professional culinary facilities.
As part of the programme, participants work in industry in a professional production kitchen and learn the practical skills of professional cookery. Work experience is directly aligned to the learning in college to ensure that the skills and knowledge are reinforced and embedded for the enhancement of the overall learning experience.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (any type) standard.
- Industrial experience is desirable.
- Must be aged 17 in the year of entry Or
- Hold a National Skills Certificate
- Will I have to pay course fees?
- As Fáilte Ireland is committed to strengthening its recognised role as a major driving force behind the training, education and placement of culinary arts and hospitality students, Fáilte Ireland will fund both the tuition and student contribution fees of this programme. Applicants who are accepted onto this course will be expected to provide appropriate uniform and knife set, books etc. Exact requirements will be advised to the successful applicants.
- What will I have to study?
- This nine month programme is structured as follows
9 months- 3 days in college and 2 days working in industry with an employer of choice
3 months- intensive structured industry training with an employer of choice.
Phase Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours 1/1 Culinary Techniques (Volume food Production) Mandatory 10 5 Culinary Techniques (Classical and Contemporary Cuisine) Mandatory 10 5 Culinary Food Safety Management Mandatory 5 3 Pastry, Bakery and Desserts Mandatory 10 5 Gastronomy & Restaurant Service Mandatory 5 4 Hospitality Business Systems Mandatory 2 1/2 Culinary Techniques ( Buffet and Larder ) Mandatory 10 5 Menu Design and Applied Nutrition Mandatory 10 4 Producing a Culinary Event Mandatory 15 6 Hospitality Business Systems Mandatory 15 3 International Cuisines Mandatory 15 6 1/throughout Work Experience / Work Placement Mandatory 15 16
- Programme Aim
- This programme prepares you for employment as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality industry. Training covers the theory and practice of professional cookery and includes 3 months work placement.
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Graduates may progress from this programme to compatible Culinary Arts degree programmes.
- Career Opportunities
- This programme will qualify you to find professional employment as a 3rd year commis chef in hotels, restaurants, licensed trade, cruise ships, industrial and hospital catering and in other food-related businesses.
- How you I apply?
- Application should be made directly to the School of Tourism. Your application should include a Student Application Form and a Registration of Establishment Form. Applicants who are unable to meet the employment requirements for the duration of the programme will not be considered.
- Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 1st March.
Late applications may be accepted at the discretion of the School of Tourism.
- Completed Applications should be returned to:
Admissions, School of Tourism (LyIT), Shore Road, Killybegs, Co Donegal
Tel No (074) 9186600 Fax No (074) 9186601
- Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery - Application Form
Nomination By Establishment Form
- Code of Practice
Total Immersion Chef's Programme.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism
- Information may be subject to change by agencies other than LYIT.
LYIT reserves the right to change information provided at any time