» Higher Certificate in Arts in Hotel Administration
Programme Title Higher Certificate in Arts in Hotel Administration CAO Code LY306 LYIT internal code LY_THOTL_C Duration 2 Years Standard Code Places: 32 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This full-time, two year programme is a professional training programme for hotel administrators. It prepares participants for particular professional careers in hotel reception and front office, reservations and revenue management, conference and banqueting and sales and marketing.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Entry requirements are Leaving Certificate, 5OD3 including English/Irish, or FETAC Level 5 in any discipline
- Will I have to pay course fees?
- As Fáilte Ireland is committed to strengthening its recognised role as a major driving force behind the training, education and placement of culinary arts and hospitality students, Fáilte Ireland will fund both the tuition and student contribution fees of this programme
- I am a mature person, can I apply?
- Applicants who will be 23 years of age or older by the 1st January in the year of entry and who have appropriate work experience in the hospitality or related industry, may be exempted from the academic requirements outlined above and admitted to the programme following an interview, provided they have applied, via the CAO, before February 1st.
- How long will I have to study?
- This is a two year full time semesterised programme. There are 4 semesters in total. Semesters 1 and 2 consists of 4 mandatory modules, semester 3 and 4 consists of 3 mandatory modules and 1 elective module.
- Learners will have the opportunity to complete a 320 hour mentored professional internship in registered establishments at the end of year 1.
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Front Office Operations Mandatory 10 7 Accommodation and Facilities Mandatory 10 7 Learning to Learn Mandatory 5 4 Desktop Publishing and Business Maths Mandatory 5 4 1/2 Destination Studies Mandatory 10 7 Travel Trade Operations Mandatory 10 7 Communications Mandatory 5 4 Information Technology and Descriptive Statistics Mandatory 5 4 2/3 Conference and Banqueting Operations Mandatory 10 6 Principles of Marketing Mandatory 10 6 Tourism Management Accounting Mandatory 5 3 French Language and Culture 1 Elective 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 1 Elective 5 3 2/4 Events Planning & Promotion Mandatory 5 3 Tourism Resort Concepts Mandatory 10 6 Management and Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 3 Business Law and Ethics Mandatory 5 3 French Language and Culture 2 Elective 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 2 Elective 5 3
- Learning Outcomes
- This programme provides the basis for a progressive career both for learners seeking entry into the Irish and International hospitality industry with a specialisation in Front Office Management.
- Are there follow-up programmes available?
- This programme provides learners with the relevant knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective and professional front office management. It also provides graduates with the opportunity to progress to a Bachelor of Arts in Hotel, Restaurant and Resort Management OR a Bachelor of Arts in Destination Tourism with Marketing at LYIT or other related degree programmes.
- What career opportunities will this course provide?
- The programme prepares you for a progressive career as a multi-skilled professional in the dynamic hotel sector. The structure of the programme reflects the modern, focussed nature and operating environment of the hotel sector and the role of the front office manager in meeting the needs of a diverse client group within this context. On completion of the two year programme learners can expect to work in a position of responsibility (shift leader/supervisor) in larger hotels.
- When does the course commence?
- This course begins in September each year. How do I apply?
- How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism
- Information may be subject to change by agencies other than LYIT.
LYIT reserves the right to change information provided at any time