» Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Destination Marketing)
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Destination Marketing) CAO Code LY327 LYIT internal code Duration 3 years (1 year common entry and 2 years specialisation) Standard Code Places: 32 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this programme for me?
- This programme is an advanced education programme for aspiring tourism professionals who wish to work in product, management and marketing innovation in national/international tourism destinations. It combines the technical skills of tour guiding with the business development skills of a marketing professional.
- How long is this course?
- Having completed 1 year of the Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Common Entry), students are required to pursue a further 2 years to complete an ordinary degree in their chosen area of specialism.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 2/3 Irish History, Culture & Heritage Mandatory 10 6 Tourism Management Accounting Mandatory 5 3 Front Office Operations Elective 1 10 7 Conference and Banqueting Operations Elective 1 10 6 Event Planning and Promotion Elective 2 5 3 French Language and Culture 1 Elective 2 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 1 Elective 2 5 3 2/4 Tourism Resort Concepts Mandatory 10 6 Management and Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 3 Accounting Practice Mandatory 5 3 Principles of Marketing Mandatory 5 3 French Language and Culture 2 Elective 1 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 2 Elective 1 5 3 Gastronomy Elective 1 5 3 3/5 Semester Abroad (Erasmus, US)* Elective 1 30 Internship* Elective 2 30 Where learners are unable to undertake a Semester out, or plan to undertake a Semester of study under Erasmus in Semester 6, then the following 30 credits are undertaken in-house. Staff Training and Development Elective 3 10 5 Local and Regional Guiding Elective 3 10 6 Hospitality Management Information Systems Elective 3 5 3 Rural Tourism Elective 3 5 3 3/6 Destination Development Elective 2 10 5 Business Environment Elective 2 5 3 Applied Economics Elective 2 5 3 Business Law and Ethics Elective 2 5 3 Services Marketing Elective 2 5 3 Alternatively, a learner may opt to take a Semester of Study Abroad under the Erasmus Programme Semester Abroad (Erasmus, US) (Must cover mandatory subjects from this semester)* Elective 1 30
- Upon completion of this programme you can progress to an existing add-on level 8, Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Destination Tourism with Marketing.
- Career Opportunities
- As this programme will focus on destination tourism with marketing, it will address industry needs to develop graduates with knowledge in the areas of history, culture and language, tourism operations, marketing (including e-marketing) and general business. In addition, the programme will incorporate a series of modules on tour guiding which on successful completion will lead to a nationally recognised qualification in tour guiding.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism