» Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Front Office Management)
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Front Office Management) CAO Code LY327 LYIT internal code Duration 3 years (1 year common entry and 2 years specialisation) Standard Code Places: 32 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this programme for me?
- This programme is an advanced professional training programme for aspiring managers in a variety of hospitality establishment from hotels to luxury resorts. It prepares participants for particular professional careers as operations managers specialising in hotel reception and front office, conference and banqueting, and extending to the management functions of sales and marketing, finance, human resource management and business development.
- The programme prepares you for a progressive career as a multi-skilled professional in the dynamic hotel sector. The structure of the programme reflects the modern, focussed nature and operating environment of the hotel sector and the role of the front office manager/department manager in meeting the needs of a diverse client group within this context. On completion of this programme learners can expect to work in a position of responsibility (department managers/supervisor) in larger hotels.
- How long is this course?
- Having completed 1 year of the Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality and Tourism (Common Entry), students are required to pursue a further 2 years to complete an ordinary degree in their chosen area of specialism.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 2/3 Front Office Operations Mandatory 10 7 Conference and Banqueting Operations Mandatory 10 6 Tourism Management Accounting Mandatory 5 5 Event Planning and Promotion Elective 1 5 3 French Language and Culture 1 Elective 1 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 1 Elective 1 5 3 2/4 Tourism Resort Concepts Mandatory 10 6 Management and Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 3 Accounting Practice Mandatory 5 3 Principles of Marketing Mandatory 5 3 French Language and Culture 2 Elective 1 5 3 Spanish Language and Culture 2 Elective 1 5 3 Gastronomy Elective 1 5 3 3/5 Semester Abroad (Erasmus, US) Elective 1 30 Internship* Elective 2 30 Where learners are unable to undertake a Semester out, or plan to undertake a Semester of study under Erasmus in Semester 6, then the following 30 credits are undertaken in-house. Staff Training and Development Elective 3 10 5 Travel Trade Industry Elective 3 10 5 Hospitality Management Information Systems Elective 3 5 3 Budgets, Pricing and Cost Control Elective 3 5 3 3/6 Revenue Management Elective 2 10 6 Business Environment Elective 2 5 3 Applied Economics Elective 2 5 3 Business Law and Ethics Elective 2 5 3 Services Marketing Elective 2 5 3 Alternatively, a learner may opt to take a Semester of Study Abroad under the Erasmus Programme Semester Abroad (Erasmus, US) (Must cover mandatory subjects from this semester)* Elective 1 30
- Upon completion of this programme you can pursue our 1 year add-on Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Hotel, Restaurant and Resort Management or other compatible level 8 degree programmes.
- Career Opportunities
- Students graduating from this programme will have developed the knowledge, skill and competence to work in a management capacity using a range of specialised skills in different hotel and resort businesses.
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Ciarán ó hAnnracháin, Head of Department of Hospitality & Tourism, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 9186603
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/lyit.tourism