» Higher Certificate in Sports Studies
Programme Title Higher Certificate in Sports Studies CAO Code LY206 LYIT internal code Duration 2 Years Standard Code Places: 40 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC CAO Points Click here for CAO Points
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Is sport your passion? Do you want a career which will enable you to use your talent and skills for sport? This two year programme will take your enthusiasm for sport and help you to carve out an exciting career in an area you love. The progrmme covers key aspects of sport, health and fitness.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- MIN. FIVE O6/H7
- MATHS F2/O6/H7
- ENGLISH OR IRISH O6/H7
- N.B. Garda Vetting
- This programme may bring students into contact with vulnerable adults or children, therefore Garda Vetting is required. Applicants will be unable to go on placement or complete the course requirements until vetting is satisfactorily completed. Registration is temporary until such time as vetting is satisfactorily completed.
- Please note, for this and any programme for which garda vetting is a requirement, non EU candidates will only be considered if there are still places remaining after all EU candidates have first be considered.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Learning & Communication Skills Mandatory 5 5 Physical Literacy & Fitness Assessment Mandatory 5 6 Sport, Leisure & Society Mandatory 5 3 Language 1 (French, German, Irish, Spanish) Elective 5 Teaching English as a Foreign Language Elective 5 Intercultural Communications Elective 5 1/2 Exercise Prescription & Programme Design Mandatory 5 5 Learning to Train & the Activity Spectrum Mandatory 5 6 Information Technology Mandatory 5 3 Language 2 (French, German, Irish, Spanish) Elective 5 Civic Engagement in Action Elective 5 2/3 Group Exercise Instruction Mandatory 5 5 Marketing Mandatory 5 6 Anatomy & Physiology Mandatory 5 3 Language 3 (French, German, Irish, Spanish) Elective 5 Teaching English as a Foreign Language Elective 5 Intercultural Communications Elective 5 2/4 Sports Models Mandatory 5 5 Sports Nutrition & Hydration Mandatory 5 5 Introduction to Sports Psychology Mandatory 5 3 Language 4 (French, German, Irish, Spanish) Elective 5 Resource Management Elective 5
- Learning Outcomes
- On completion of this programme the student will be able to:
- Guide and motivate individuals and groups using physical activity as a mechanism in a community setting
- Plan, design, deliver and assess leisure programmes in a recreational context
- Integrate and apply key skills and knowledge in work based projects
- Assist in both voluntary and work based projects using preparation and planning techniques
- Communicate with confidence and empathy
- Develop competence and capacity as an independent learner
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Students may progress on to the BA in Sports Studies with Marketing at LYIT.
- Career Opportunities
- Careers in the sports, leisure and fitness sectors. Graduates from this programme may work in both the commercial and not for profit sectors assisting in programming and the delivery of sports training.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Anne Burke, Head of Department of Law & Humanities, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: Anne.Burke@lyit.ie
- Telephone: (074) 9186204