» Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Business with Irish/ French/Spanish/German
Programme Title Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Business with Irish/ French/Spanish/German CAO Code LY218 LYIT internal code Duration 4 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 30 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC CAO Points Click here for CAO Points
- Is this Course for You?
- Do you have business flair and enjoy learning about different cultures ? Are you interested in the possibility of an international placement?
- This programme combines the study of business with languages and will provide you with a strong advantage in the international jobs market.. Students will study Irish, at post leaving cert level, or French, Spanish or German from beginners level. In the third year students will work or study abroad to develop their language skills and improve their intercultural awareness.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- Grade HC3 in two higher level papers, together with Grade OD3 in four other subjects of the Leaving Certificate Examination, to include Irish or English and Mathematics.
- Candidates who do not meet these entry requirements may be admitted to the programme on the grounds of mature years, if they have attained appropriate experience and attainment thresholds deemed equivalent. Applicants may avail of LYIT’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
- Suitably qualified direct applicants may be eligible for admission to Year 2, 3 or 4 of the programme.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Learning & Communication Skills Mandatory 10 5 Business Organisation & Management Mandatory 10 6 Language 1 (French 1, German 1, Irish 1, Spanish 1) Mandatory 5 4 Information Technology Mandatory 5 3 1/2 Basic Business Statistics Mandatory 10 6 Accounting 1 Mandatory 10 6 Language 2 (French 2, German 2, Irish 2, Spanish 2) Mandatory 5 4 Business Law Mandatory 5 3 2/3 Teaching English as a Foreign Language Mandatory 5 3 Intercultural Communications Mandatory 5 3 Language 3 (French 3, German 3, Irish 3, Spanish 3) Mandatory 5 4 Marketing Mandatory 10 5 Professional Development & Pedagogy Mandatory 5 3 2/4 Managing People Mandatory 10 5 Economics Mandatory 10 5 Language 4 (French 4, German 4, Irish 4, Spanish 4) Mandatory 5 4 Social Technology Project Mandatory 5 3 3/5 Year Abroad: Workplace Learning Mandatory 30 Year Abroad: Erasmus Placement Mandatory 30 Language 5 (French 5, German 5, Irish & Communication Skills 1, Spanish 5) Mandatory 10 6 Workplace Learning Mandatory 20 Semester Abroad: Erasmus Placement Elective 30 3/6 Year Abroad: Workplace Learning Mandatory 30 Year Abroad: Erasmus Placement Mandatory 30 Language 6 (French 6, German 6, Irish & Communication Skills 2, Spanish 6) Mandatory 10 6 Workplace Learning Mandatory 20 Semester Abroad: Erasmus Placement Elective 30 4/7 Language 7 (French 7, German 7, Irish & Communication Skills 3, Spanish 7) Mandatory 10 6 Financial Information & Decision Making Mandatory 5 3 International Marketing Mandatory 10 5 Culture & Business Project Mandatory 5 3 4/8 Language 8 (French 8, German 8, Irish & Communication Skills 4, Spanish 8) Mandatory 10 6 Research Methods & Dissertation Mandatory 10 5 Managing Change Mandatory 10 6
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this programme it is expected that the learner will be able to:
- Identify, evaluate and synthesise the core theoretical business frameworks and models.
- Use appropriate business theories and frameworks to analyse and solve business problems.
- Integrate general and professional target language competencies with business knowledge and skills.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written modes with competent speakers of the target language in professional and social settings.
- Demonstrate critical cultural and linguistic awareness and the ability to communicate effectively in intercultural contexts.
- Work effectively as an autonomous individual and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Follow-on Courses
- Future study at postgraduate level in languages, business or marketing, including the MSc in Marketing Practice.
- Career Opportunities
- This programme focuses on the development of skills and provides opportunities for applied learning, particularly through workplace learning abroad and study abroad, which enhance the employability of the LYIT business and languages graduate. The proposed business and languages programme offers graduates a pathway to careers in a wide range of areas including:
- Multinational companies
- Small and medium sized enterprises
- Public sector bodies
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Anne Burke, Head of Department of Law & Humanities, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: Anne.Burke@lyit.ie
- Telephone: (074) 9186204