» Bachelor of Science Honours in Bioanalytical Science
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The BSc Honours in Bioanalytical Science is designed to meet the demand for highly trained bio-scientists in the areas of molecular biology, analytical science, biotechnology, immunology and biopharmaceuticals. The modular content of this programme is designed to equip the student with the skills required to develop successful careers within the biosceince and biopharmaceutical areas.
- Note that this course is approved by the Teaching Council on its list of Degree/Teacher Education Programmes Recognised for Post-Primary Registration Purposes.
- The BSc Honours in in Bioanalytical Science is a four year ab inito Honours degree. Access onto this programme is through the LY818 BSc Honours in Science (common entry). Following completion of year one of the common entry programme students who chose the BSc Honours programme in Bioanalytical Science will progress to study the following modules:
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 2/3 Mathematical Methods for Science Mandatory 5 4 Ecosystems Mandatory 5 5 Fundamentals of Microbiology Mandatory 10 7 Instrumentation 1 Mandatory 10 7 2/4 Data Methods for Science Mandatory 5 4 Anatomy & Physiology Mandatory 5 3 Instrumentation 2 Mandatory 10 7 Biochemistry Mandatory 10 7 3/5 Research Skills Mandatory 5 3 Pharmacology Mandatory 5 3 Genetics and Recombinant DNA Mandatory 10 7 Cell Culture and Clean Room Technology Mandatory 10 7 3/6 Quality and Regulations Mandatory 5 3 Applied Microbiology Mandatory 5 4 Applied Immunology Mandatory 10 7 Environmental Analysis Mandatory 10 7 4/7 Analytical Science Mandatory 10 6 Research Project Design Mandatory 5 2 Industrial Microbiology Elective 5 3 Medicinal Chemistry Elective 5 3 Molecular Biology Mandatory 10 7 4/8 Protein Chemistry Mandatory 5 3 Research Project Mandatory 10 2 Biopharmaceutical Processes Mandatory 10 7 Management Theory and Practice Mandatory 5 3
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Masters or PhD level at other third level colleges in Ireland or abroad. Acceptance on any programme is at the discretion of the college to which the candidate applies
- Career Opportunities
- Current forecasts for Bioanalytical science graduates in Ireland are excellent. Graduates from this course could take up a number of positions in industry and in particular the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and environmental sectors.
- Graduates find employment in analysis, quality assurance, research and development, and in the innovation and product development areas of the biotechnology, biopharmaceutical, medical diagnostic, pharmaceutical, food, and health care industries.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Dr. Joanne Gallagher, Head of Department of Science, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 918 6302