» Bachelor of Science Honours in Food Science & Nutrition
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The BSc Honours in Food Science and Nutrition is an exciting opportunity to develop in-depth skills in and knowledge of, human nutrition, food safety, food technology and food product development. The modular content of this programme is designed to equip the student with the skills required to develop successful careers within the food industry.
- The BSc Honours in Food Science and Nutrition is a four year ab inito Honours degree. Access onto this programme is through the LY818 BSc Honours in Science (common entry). Following completion of year one of the common entry programme students who chose the BSc Honours programme in Food Science and Nutrition will progress to study the following modules
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 2/3 Food Chemistry Mandatory 5 4 Food Technology 1 : Unit Operations Mandatory 10 7 Fundamentals of Microbiology Mandatory 10 7 Food Instrumentation 1 Mandatory 5 4 2/4 Data Methods for Science Mandatory 5 4 Human Nutrition Mandatory 10 7 Biochemistry Mandatory 10 7 Food Instrumentation 2 Mandatory 5 4 3/5 Food Technology 2: Milk & Meat Technology Mandatory 10 6 Food Microbiology Mandatory 10 7 Research Skills Mandatory 5 3 Sports Nutrition Mandatory 5 3 3/6 Food Technology : Cereals, Fruit and Vegetables Mandatory 10 6 Quality Management Mandatory 5 4 Dietary Evaluation Mandatory 5 3 Advanced Food Chemistry Mandatory 10 7 4/7 Food Safety Mandatory 5 4 Food Fermentation Mandatory 10 6 Research Project Design Mandatory 5 2 Food Product Development and Sensory Evaluation Mandatory 10 6 4/8 Food Processing Mandatory 5 4 LEAN Technologies: Tools and Techniques Mandatory 5 4 Research Project Mandatory 10 2 Nutrition, Disease and Health Promotion Mandatory 10 6
- Are there follow-up Programmes
- Available?Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Masters or PhD level at third level colleges in Ireland or abroad. Acceptance on any programme is at the discretion of the college to which the candidate applies
- Career Opportunities
- Ireland has a proud tradition as a producer and exporter of quality foods e.g. dairy products, meat, fish, etc.
- The food industry is responding to advances in nutritional knowledge and technology by developing a new generation of convenience foods with an emphasis on added value and safety. Such developments have created a demand for young well qualified graduates in food science to join the wide variety of companies in Ireland and abroad who regularly recruit to areas such as production, quality assurance, product development, food safety, etc. Food Science and Nutrition graduates are able to pursue successful careers in the food industry, and also in government departments concerned with food production and food safety. Previous graduates have found employment with Kerry group, Errigal Seafood, Marine Harvest Ireland, Liffey Meats and Nature’s Best.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Dr. Joanne Gallagher, Head of Department of Science, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6302