» Bachelor of Science Honours in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The BSc Honours in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science is designed to meet the demand for highly trained analytical scientist in the areas of analytical chemistry, medicinal science, drug discovery, pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals and medical devices. The degree emphasises the importance of analytical and medicinal sciences to the modern pharmaceutical and medicinal product sectors as well as related chemical industries.
- The BSc Honours in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science is a four year ab inito Honours degree. Access onto this programme is through the LY818 BSc Honours in Science (common entry). Following completion of year one of the common entry programme students who chose the BSc Honours programme in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science will progress to study the following modules:
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Proposed Modules,
subject to approval
No of credits Class hours per week 2/3 Physical and Inorganic Chemistry Mandatory 10 7 Organic Chemistry Mandatory 5 5 Instrumentation 1 Mandatory 10 7 Medicinal Drug Discovery Mandatory 5 3 2/4 Pharmaceutical Chemistry Mandatory 5 4 Biochemistry Mandatory 10 7 Instrumentation 2 Mandatory 10 7 Data Methods for Science Mandatory 5 4 3/5 Pharmaceutical Analysis Mandatory 10 6 Medicinal Drug Analysis Mandatory 10 6 Research Skills Mandatory 5 3 Pharmacology Mandatory 5 3 3/6 Pharmaceutical Microbiology Mandatory 10 6 Medicinal Science of Natural Products Mandatory 5 7 Industrial Processes and Medical Devices Mandatory 10 3 Quality & Regulations Mandatory 5 3 4/7 Analytical Science Mandatory 10 6 Research Project Design Mandatory 5 7 Toxicology Mandatory 10 3 Medicinal Chemistry Mandatory 5 3 4/8 Research Project Mandatory 10 6 Medicinal Protein Chemistry Mandatory 5 7 Pharmaceutical Processes Mandatory 10 3 Management Theory and Practice Mandatory 5 3
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies to Masters or PhD level at other third level colleges in Ireland or abroad. Acceptance on any programme is at the discretion of the college to which the candidate applies
- Career Opportunities
- Holders of the B.Sc. Honours in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science have a diverse range of career opportunities in the pharmaceutical, medicinal science, environmental and chemical industries. Graduates could find employment in analysis, quality assurance, research and development, innovation and drug development areas.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Dr. Joanne Gallagher, Head of Department of Science, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6302