» Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science
Programme Title Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science CAO Code LY867 LYIT internal code LY_SPMED_D Duration 3 Years Standard Code Places: 26 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from QQI
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This new course covers the full range of core subjects in science and in particular Pharmaceutical science. Pharmaceutical scientists have key analytical skills which can be applied in many industrial, research and government laboratories. This course is intrinsically multidisciplinary in nature. The degree emphasises the importance of analytical and medicinal sciences to the modern pharmaceutical, and medicinal product sectors as well as related chemical industries.
- The B.Sc. in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science is a three-year programme, during which extensive time is spent in a range of well-equipped laboratories. The first year of this programme provides a thorough grounding in all aspects of science as well as introducing key skills that are transferable to future employment opportunities. The first year is common with some other programmes in the science department and this allows potential students the option of changing their specialisation up to the end of their first year.
- In the second year students on this programme study a range of topics including Medicinal Drug discovery, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical and Inorganic Chemistry, as well as modules such as Instrumentation which teach the practical techniques involved in analysis of materials. In the third year of the programme students study topics including Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Medicinal Science of Natural Products as well as continuing to extend their skills in modern analytical techniques used in chemical analysis. The final year also includes modules on research methods and on quality and regulations.
- At all stages practical and theoretical aspects of the modules offered will be integrated. Every effort is made to provide a learning environment in which the students' enthusiasm for their subject is fostered and their intellectual, personal, and practical skills developed.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Minimum Points Score 160
- Min. Five O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Maths F2/O6/H7
- QQI (FET)/CAS
- Have obtained any FETAC Level 5 award.
- What will I have to study?
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Introductory Biology Mandatory 5 5 Chemistry 1 Mandatory 5 5 Physics 1 Mandatory 5 5 Mathematical Skills for Science 1 Mandatory 5 4 Transferable Skills 1 Mandatory 10 6 1/2 Animal & Plant Biology Mandatory 5 5 Chemistry 2 Mandatory 5 5 Physics 2 Mandatory 5 5 Mathematical Skills for Science 2 Mandatory 5 4 Transferable Skills 2 Mandatory 10 6 2/3 Physical and Inorganic Chemistry Mandatory 10 7 Organic Chemistry Mandatory 5 5 Instrumentation 1 Mandatory 10 7 Medicinal Drug Discovery Mandatory 5 3 2/4 Pharmaceutical Chemistry Mandatory 5 4 Biochemistry Mandatory 10 7 Instrumentation 2 Mandatory 10 7 Data Methods for Science Mandatory 5 4 3/5 Pharmaceutical Analysis Mandatory 10 6 Medicinal Drug Analysis Mandatory 10 6 Research Skills Mandatory 5 3 Pharmacology Mandatory 5 3 3/6 Pharmaceutical Microbiology Mandatory 10 6 Medicinal Science of Natural Products Mandatory 5 7 Industrial Processes and Medical Devices Mandatory 10 3 Quality & Regulations Mandatory 5 3 Placement Optional 15 30
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- On successful completion of this programme learners may progress to a Bachelor of Science Honours Degree (Level 8) in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science. Graduates from this programme may also pursue further studies at other Universities in Ireland or abroad. Acceptance on any programme is at the discretion of the college to which the candidate applies.
- Career Opportunities
- Holders of the B.Sc. in Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Science have a diverse and widening range of career opportunities in the pharmaceutical, medicinal science, environmental and chemical industries. The larger employers include, Allergan, Abbott Ireland, Randox, Pfizer Ireland, MSD, Genzyme Ireland, Norbrook Laboratories and Megazyme
- This course begins in September each year.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Dr. Joanne Gallagher, Head of Department of Science, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: (074) 918 6302