» Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
Programme Title Bachelor of Science in Agriculture CAO Code LY877 LYIT internal code Duration 3 Years Standard Code Places: 16 Mature Applicants Places: 2 Foundation Places: 1 FETAC Places: 2 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- Agriculture is a key contributor to the Irish Economy and is currently experiencing a period of growth and expansion. The BSc in Agriculture at LyIT offers graduates a combination of skills and knowledge of key arears in Agricultures such as Soil and Plant Science, Ruminant Husbandry and Agriculture business management. This is combined with work place learning with a substantial work placement in semester II of year two were the students will gain valuable work place experience. Year three of the programme expands and build upon knowledge in years one and two of the programme with the study of modules such as farm waste and Environmental Science Livestock production and Animal Science.
- For those students who do not wish to progress to year three of the programme students can exit the programme following successful completion of two years and achieve a Higher Certificate in Science in Agriculture.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Minimum Points Score 160
- Min. Five O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Maths F2/O6/H7
- QQI (FET)/CAS
- Have obtained any FETAC Level 5 award.
- Advanced entry
- Students with a FETAC level 6 award in an appropriate area may be eligible for advanced entry on to year two of the programme. Students with a HETAC level 6 award in an appropriate area may be eligible for advanced entry on to year three of the programme. Applications for advanced entry are made directly to LyIT.
- What will I study
Year/Semester Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 1/1 Introduction to Agriculture Mandatory 15 Animal Husbandry, Nutrition and Welfare. Mandatory 10 Communications and IT Skills Mandatory 5 Fundamentals of Biology and Chemistry Mandatory 5 Mathematical Skills for Science 1 Mandatory 5 1/2 Agriculture and Environmental Impact Mandatory 10 Agricultural Business Management Mandatory 10 Soil and Plant Science Mandatory 5 Alternative Farm Enterprises Mandatory 5 2/3 Ruminant Husbandry Mandatory 10 Grassland and Crop Production Mandatory 10 Work placement and Farm Health and Safety Mandatory 5 Advanced Soil Science Mandatory 5 2/4 Work Placement 12 weeks Mandatory 30 3/5 Animal Science Mandatory 10 Agricultural Marketing and Accounts Mandatory 5 Beef and Dairy Production Systems Mandatory 5 Sheep Pigs and Poultry Production Mandatory 5 Research skills Mandatory 5 3/6 Agricultural Food Technology Mandatory 10 Farm Waste and Environmental Science Mandatory 5 Advanced Crop Production Mandatory 10 Literature Project Mandatory 5
- Work Placement
- Students will undertake a mandatory work placement for 12 weeks duration in the second semester of year 2 of the programme. This will give students operational experience of a working farm and also enhance their employability and future career prospects. It will also provide employers with capable staff who can demonstrate and apply their technical skills to real-world situations. While the institute will make every effort to assist the learner in finding a placement final responsibility for securing the placement resides with the learner. Travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the learner
- Are there follow-up Programmes Available?
- Students who successfully complete the BSc in Agriculture are eligible to apply for level 8 programmes in a cognate area at other IOTS in Ireland..
- Career Opportunities
- Career prospects appear to be very good at present and for the foreseeable future. Careers that graduates from this course may access include:
- Farm management
- The Agriculture industry
- Sales and marketing
- If currently on a family farm then to expand its remit to other agriculture based alternatives;
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact: Dr. Joanne Gallagher, Head of Department of Science, Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6302