» Certificate in Fundamentals of Ageing and Care
Programme Title Certificate in Fundamentals of Ageing and Care CAO Code Not available through CAO LYIT internal code Duration Part-time Standard Code Places: National Framework Level Award Type Minor Awarding Body HETAC
- Is this Programme for Me?
- The aim of this Award is to provide the foundations for the carer to develop knowledge and skills in caring for the elderly individual within the home/ care setting. The student will familiarise themselves with physiological and theories of aging, the impact of current issues within the care setting and gain an understanding in caring for the self. Particular emphasis will be on the person centred approach, establishing and maintaining the therapeutic interpersonal relationships with the home and/or care setting.
- On completion of this module students will be exempt from having to take this again if they decide to undertake the level 6 Higher Certificate in Health and Social Care course.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- For those under 23 years of age a minimum of a Grade D3 or higher in at least five ordinary subjects at Leaving Certificate will be required including Maths and either English or Irish. Or
- FETAC level 5 award in Community Care (DCHCC) or Healthcare Support (DHSXX) with distinctions in at least 3 modules Or
- Applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements may be admitted to the programme in the grounds of mature years, i.e. over 23 on 1 January on the year of entry.
- What will I study
Year Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours 1 Fundamentals of Ageing and Caring 20
- Programme Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this module the learners will have the introductory ability and skills to:
- Demonstrate the concept of the ageing process
- Demonstrate good work practices in the provision of care for older people
- Satisfy the needs of older people in a variety of care settings
- Enhance the quality of life for the older person
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Louise McBride, Head of Department of Nursing & Health Studies by
- Telephone: (074) 9186303
- Contact Mary Dunnion, Department of Nursing & Health Studies by
- E- Mail: Mary.Dunnion@lyit.ie
- Telephone: (074)9186395