» Preparatory Studies for Higher Education
Programme Title Certificate in Preparatory Studies for Higher Education CAO Code LYIT internal code LY_CFOUN_F Duration 1 Year Standard Code Places: 30 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Minor Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- IS THIS PROGRAMME FOR ME?
- The course is intended for adult learners who wish to return to study after a break in their educational experience and who may not have benefited from, or had access to, previous educational opportunities. Students who are successful on this course will have the educational qualification for admission to higher education courses in a wide range of disciplines. This will not depend on the particular electives chosen. The skills, knowledge and competence developed by the students during this course should ensure a reasonable prospect of success in subsequent studies.
- WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE COURSE?
- School leavers between the ages of 17-22 years who have been out of school at least 2 years and who meet the socio-economic and academic criteria as set down by the institution.
- Adult students 23 years of age or over on 1st January of the year of application to the access course. There are no specific entry requirements, such as Leaving Certificate but applicants may have to sit an Aptitude test or undergo an interview.
- Current LCA students may apply who have 160 credits
- WHAT WILL I STUDY?
Year Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Communications Mandatory 5 4 Information Technology Mandatory 5 3 Mathematics Mandatory 5 3 Educational Guidance Mandatory 5 3 1/2 Introduction to Business Studies Elective 5 3 Introduction to Computing Elective 5 3 Introduction to Science Elective 5 3
- Total award: 30 credits
- LEARNING OUTCOMES
- On completion of this programme the graduate will have a good introductory knowledge of Maths, Communications, Learning Skills, Information Technology and a minimum of two of the following: Computing, Science or Business. The learner will have developed confidence in written and verbal communication skills that will be of lifelong benefit.
- ARE THERE FOLLOW-UP PROGRAMMES AVAILABLE?
- Progression on this course will comply with standard rules and regulations. Students who successfully pass this course with an overall average of 50% or over will have the opportunity to progress to any course of their choice (except Nursing). Quotas may apply for some courses.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Brian McGonagle, Course Coordinator by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6170