» Certificate in Mainframe Technologies
Programme Title Certificate in Mainframe Technologies CAO Code Not available via CAO LYIT internal code Duration 16 weeks Standard Code Places: 30 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Minor Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Course for You?
- Are you based in Dublin or surrounding region? Looking to reskill or upskill for a career in computing? If so, then this course may be for you.
- Mainframe skills are hugely in demand in Ireland and internationally. Graduates from this programme will be equipped with a skill set that is sought-after regionally, nationally and internationally. LYIT has a proven track record in delivering Mainframe programmes. We were the best performing 3rd level institution overall in the UK & Ireland region of the IBM Master the Mainframe competition in 2016 with outright winners in 2015.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- Level 7 award, or an equivalent qualification, from any discipline.
Applicants with a Level 6 award and relevant experience may also be eligible to apply on the grounds of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if they have attained appropriate experience and attainment thresholds deemed equivalent to a Level 7 award.
- What will I study?
Year Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 1 Mainframe Application Development 1 (COBOL) Mandatory 10 Mainframe Application Development 2 (COBOL/DB2/CICS) Mandatory 10 Mainframe Application Development 1 (PL/1) Mandatory 10 Work Based Learning Mandatory 10
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this programme learners will be able to:
- Adapt the use of the mainframe utilities JCL, TSO, ISPF, SDSF, and their effectiveness within the COBOL (both batch and on-line) and PL/1 programming environment.
- Design, Configure and Implement a DB2 environment, facilitating the integration of this database technology to the programming environment using imbedded SQL code.
- Design and program extensively using the business language COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language).
- Design and program extensively using the programming language PL/1 (Programming Language One).
- Operate effectively in a variety of team roles and demonstrate self-direction when completing and implementing projects.
- Follow-on courses
- Higher Diploma in Mainframe Business Information Systems and Infrastructure
- Career opportunities
- The Certificate in Mainframe Technologies enables students to develop core competencies and skills in mainframe technologies. The course will develop a very employable skill set in mainframe business systems with a strong emphasis in systems development using the business language COBOL. These skills are transferable throughout the wider computing industry.
- The programme is strongly aligned with industry job requirements regionally, nationally and internationally as is evidenced by the fact that all of the previous student cohorts are now in full time employment in mainframe roles. According to General Motors LYIT is currently providing tailored course solutions in mainframe that are not readily available in any other 3rd level institution in Ireland.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: