» Certificate in Elementary Spanish
Programme Title Certificate in Elementary Spanish CAO Code Not available via CAO LYIT internal code Duration 24 Weeks (Spanish 1 - 12 weeks, Spanish 2 - 12 weeks) Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 6 Award Type Minor Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this the course for you?
- Do you have a passion for travel? Contemplating learning a new language? Would you like to speak Spanish and learn more about the culture? The Spanish language is among the most widely used language in the world both in terms of number of speakers and the number of countries in which it is the dominant language and is considered to be one of the easiest foreign languages for English language speakers to learn.
- Minimum entry requirements
- 5 Ordinary Level D3 in the Leaving Certificate, including Maths and English or Irish, FETAC Level 5 or equivalent.
- Candidates who do not meet the above entry requirement may be admitted to the programme on the grounds of mature years (Over 23 by 1st January in the proposed year of entry), if they have attained appropriate experience and attainment thresholds deemed equivalent. Such applicants will be subject to an interview process to ascertain the extent and appropriateness of prior non-accredited/accredited learning and associated communication/learning competencies. Where necessary further assessment with regard to learning and communication competencies may be required by the Learning Support Unit.
- What will I study?
Year Modules No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Elementary Spanish 1 5 2 1/2 Elementary Spanish 2 5 2
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this module the learner will be able to:
- Engage in simple conversation about personal circumstances and respond appropriately to oral questions or comments relating to family, surroundings and schedules.
- Demonstrate comprehension of recorded sources in Spanish by answering written questions on content in English. The graduate will be able to answer questions in Spanish on content.
- Demonstrate comprehension of simple written texts in Spanish. In addition, our graduates will be able to complete cloze tests and write simple sentences and short passages in Spanish.
- Demonstrate general knowledge of Spain (i.e. demonstrate familiarity with aspects of Spanish culture, traditions, etc.).
- Apply basic rules of grammar and demonstrate acquisition of core vocabulary through cloze tests and by writing sentences and short texts in Spanish.
- Demonstrate comprehension of short written texts in Spanish.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: