» Certificate in Principles of Sports Nutrition
Programme Title Certificate in Principles of Sports Nutrition CAO Code Not available via CAO LYIT internal code Duration 3 Saturdays per semester x three 12-week semesters x 1 year Standard Code Places: 20 National Framework Level 7 Award Type Minor Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
- Is this Course for You?
- This programme (run over three Saturdays over 3 semesters) is aimed at anyone interested in developing a basic knowledge of current relevant sports nutrition guidelines and their practical application. This programme will also be of interest to professionals, as well as sports athletes, wishing to upskill or for continuing professional development e.g. Physical Education Teachers. The programme will provide you with the basic skills, knowledge in relation to current relevant evidence based sports nutrition guidelines. This programme specialises in developing skills and competencies across essential areas pertaining to current evidence based sports nutrition guidelines.
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- 5 Ordinary Level D3 in the Leaving Certificate, including Maths and English or Irish, FETAC Level 5 or equivalent.
- Candidates must be currently engaged in sport in a coaching, teaching or advanced performance capacity and must have at least 2 years coaching, teaching or advanced performance capacity experience.
- Candidates who do not meet the above entry requirement may be admitted to the programme on the grounds of mature years (0ver 23 by 1st January in the proposed year of entry), if they have attained appropriate sporting experience, minimum 2 years (in a coaching, teaching or advanced performance capacity) and attainment thresholds deemed equivalent. Such applicants will be subject to an interview process to ascertain the extent and appropriateness of prior non-accredited/accredited learning and associated communication/learning competencies. Where necessary further assessment with regard to learning and communication competencies may be required by the Learning Support Unit.
- What will I study?
Year/Semester Modules No of credits Class hours per week 1/1 Introduction to Sports Nutrition 10 3 Saturdays 1/2 Current concepts in Sports Nutrition 10 3 Saturdays 1/3 Applied Sports Nutrition (Case Study of Action Learning Research Project) 1 3 Saturdays
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this Programme the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to work both independently and as part of a group
- Assess an athlete’s basic nutritional needs based on their individual needs and the demands of their sport
- Assess an athlete’s diet and use dietary software to make basic recommendations for improvement
- Plan, conduct and present the results of a case study or action learning research project in a specific area of sports nutrition such as energy expenditure, recovery, hydration and periodization of nutrition.
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: